Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
ElitePad 1000 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Been running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit for months without a problem on my ElitePad 1000 G2; applying Windows 10 updates all along - until now. Yesterday, 11/12/2015, version 1511 (Threshold 2) update from Microsoft downloaded automatically and restarted to begin the OS upgrade installation. The upgrade completed the first 'Copying files' phase, and started the second phase 'Features and drivers', then stopped (hung) at 40% total progress/23% features and drivers progress with no further response. Only a 'hard shutdown' (hold Power button for at least 10 seconds) worked. Upon 'power up' the result was an immediate "Restoring previous version", and the subsequent restart restored my previous login - as expected.

Does HP have a new image or update for Windows 10 Pro 64-bit version 1511/Threshold 2? Is the update hanging due to a driver issue? Any advice would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Finally, a fix for me! I used the latest Microsoft 'MediaCreationTool' (dated 11/13/2015) to download and create a 'USB stick' upgrade media (1/8/2016). <NOTE: created my USB stick using a Win10 laptop.> The created USB stick contained over 3GB of upgrade content. First booted my ElitePad into my original Windows 10 upgrade OS, then inserted the USB stick in my ElitePad. Launched 'Setup.exe' on the USB stick to start the upgrade process, and left the USB stick connected until the upgrade was finished; several restarts part of the upgrade. Once Setup.exe launched, a blue-background menu proceeded and displayed 'Checking for Updates' for over 15 minutes (checking for updated drivers, etc.) then proceeded to the Upgrade Process display (Progress Circle GUI). The Upgrade Completed in about 90 minutes without a hitch. So far, all features and programs are intact. I'm assuming either HP-related drivers got updated (finally) in the current 1511 Build, and/or the latest created USB stick media works where the Microsoft Update (via Microsoft Update servers) has an issue. For me, this solved my v1511 upgrade issue. I hope this helps others. 

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

I've experienced the same problem.

I have a HP Stream 8 Signiture Edition (5909). Twice I tried to install the Windows November Update (Threshold 2 / Windows 10 Build 10586) and it froze at 40% total / 23% features & drivers both times. 

Once I rebooted the Tablet it restored my previous Windows configuration, but the second time the wireless adapter (Realtek RTL8723BS 802.11n) was misconfigured and I had to reinstall the driver.

Must be a critical driver issue and avoiding this update until patched is probably best.

HP Recommended

Sorry you are experiencing a similar update result, and thanks for sharing your experience. My guess is a driver conflict prevents a complete update. In the past, HP has released updated drivers for a particular Windows release or upgrade; that may be the case here. I also found a recent BIOS update for my ElitePad, but I could not apply it because the BIOS update package (SP73353) was not signed and could not be applied. There may be a prerequisite to install new BIOS and drivers before applying this latest update. I hope HP can provide some more information regarding this important Windows 10 update.

HP Recommended

If you have a microsd card inserted, try removing it before updating. Found out from here.

I removed my microsd card and my Stream 7 stopped hanging at 'features and drivers' but then it black screens after the update is complete, so I assume theres another problem now. Will probably do a clean install, since my tablet needs it.

HP Recommended

Removing the microSD card before the update seems like good advise. Only seeing one pending Update for my ElitePad 1000 G2 in the HP Support Assistant for my device before the v1511 Update, a BIOS update, that was all I focused on. I have since discovered several new HP driver and software updates for my device on the HP Support website that were not alerted via HP Support Assistant.

To start, the 'not signed' error, when trying to apply the latest BIOS update, was resolved after first installing the new WMI 64-bit driver that is listed on the HP Support website for my device. Reviewing other drivers and software, I also discovered new chipset and network drivers, and diagnostic software. After downloading and applying the new drivers and software, I am waiting for the v1511 Update to become available again - it is not now automatically available via Windows Updates. I am hoping that after applying these latest drivers and software, the v1511 Update will install correctly.

HP Recommended

Reporting back that a fresh install works fine, so its probably an incompatible driver or something. So anyone who is willing or needs a fresh install of windows 10 1511, this works fine, for me at least.

HP Recommended

Same issue with HP Envy X2.   Failed at 32% in the 2nd stage of the upgrade and rolled back.   

HP Recommended

This has been reported on some other sitees and forums. As someone else stated, the problem is apparently with SD cards. Removing them prior to upgrading appears to solve the problem.

I didn't find out about this until I had 2 (or3?) failed attempts, and now Windows Update doesn't offer it up. Microsoft may have pulled it until the issue is resolved.

HP Recommended

I contacted Microsoft Support and they were very helpful and checked my PC but then said that the update has been withdrawn for my PC due to issues and they expect it to be available at a later time.   It no longer shows in the windows update function and just says I am up to date.   

HP Recommended

Thanks for sharing that, challenger07! Good to know that Microsoft is aware and working on it! I can be patient and wait for the fix, now that I know that. I was expecting HP Support to chime in here and advise us, but it appears "we customers are driving the bus" for these support issues.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.