Question

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 1 of 165 (141,289 Views)

Atheros WLAN Driver Fixes Connection Issues With Many New Routers (Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, etc...)

[ Edited ]

Hi:

This post is for those that have the below listed Atheros adapters, and recently upgraded their routers (usually from a Wireless G to a Wireless N router from 2009 or newer), only to find they cannot connect to the internet anymore.

Atheros AR5006 802.11a/b/g WiFi Adapter
Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter
Atheros AR5009 802.11a/g/n WiFi Adapter

When using their old equipment, there were no problems.

Symptom:  When upgrading to a new router, normally connection is made to the local network, but one cannot access the internet.

Symptom:  Wireless connects if using WEP security or no security, but will not connect when using WPA2-Personal security.

For those who have the above Atheros wireless adapters, and are experiencing issues with connecting to the internet, there is a driver available that should remedy the situation. 

It is good for Windows operating systems -- Windows XP through Windows 7 -- 32 or 64 bit.

It may work on Windows 8 too, but I haven't tested it on Windows 8.

Here is the link to the driver download page:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

Best Regards,

Paul

Tutor
JoeFox
Message 2 of 165 (140,897 Views)

Re: Atheros WLAN Driver Fixes Connection Issues With Linksys Exxxx Series Routers

Would this work with a Netgear Wireless-N Router WNR2000?  And how do I download the driver if I can't connect to the internet?

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 3 of 165 (140,895 Views)

Re: Atheros WLAN Driver Fixes Connection Issues With Linksys Exxxx Series Routers

Hi:

I would update the driver because you have nothing to lose. 

You can dowload the driver the same way you posted your question--via another computer.

Just plug in a USB flash drive to the computer you download the driver from. Copy it onto a flash drive, plug the flash drive into your notebook USB port, and launch the driver installation package.

Paul

Tutor
JoeFox
Message 4 of 165 (140,882 Views)

Will try this tomorrow

Tutor
JoeFox
Message 5 of 165 (140,859 Views)

I did as suggested putting the files into C:\SWSetup/SP52131.  I then clicked on the Setup file in this folder dated 3/1/2011.  When given the choice to modify or remove, I chose modify and the Wizard started.  To be brief, I still get no internet connection messages.

Any other ideas?

Joe Fox

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 165 (140,845 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi, Joe:

Sorry that didn't work for you. I don't have any other ideas you can try.

Youmay want to try posting your question as a new post, rather than it being hidden here. You can already list what you have tried.

Paul

Honor Student
zains
Message 7 of 165 (140,557 Views)

I want to ask, if it can I apply in ProBook 4420s, because I have the same problem, namely my wifi works fine, but can not access the internet.

please solution

thanks

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 8 of 165 (140,547 Views)

Hi:

Yes you can use the driver above to see if that works for your 4420s.

Paul

Student
seedlesscannon
Message 9 of 165 (140,141 Views)

paul u are a saint. they wanted to charge me 50  to a hundred bucks just to tell me what u did on here. it took me 3 minutes to download the driver and now i dont have to use ethernet anymore. thanx bro. take it easy

Top Student
hobartblack
Message 10 of 165 (140,105 Views)

I created an HP account just to thank you for this link. I've spent 2 days online and talking to call centers trying to get this driver. I was finally going to just return my router to Best Buy. Thank you SO much!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation