Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 802.11b|g|n WiFi Adapter

When I first go my HP  14N-019WM laptop, all was well but after I upgraded to windows 8.1 (from Windows 😎 I started to have problems staying connected to the wifi.    I get a "limited Connection" that would dump me off and auto reconnect which causes lags and a "unable to access the network" page.    Driver was:  5/3/13  3.0.1.55.

Then there was a windows update that upgraded the driver to 11/25/2013   10.0.0.74 and that's when things got worse.   Now it dumps me off sometimes every couple of minutes and sometimes it won't for an hour or more.  It's very random but when things are bad, it's useless and I have to hook up to our wired connection to get around it.

Today I deleted the driver I had from 11/2013  10.0.0.74   and rebooted to reinstsall the orignial driver (3.0.1.155   5/3/13)  but things are even worse now.   I was dropped off 3 times just while typing this.   

Is this a compatiblity problem with the Atheros AR9485 and Windows 8.1?   What is the solution?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Please uninstall all QCA9000 series drivers and try this Qualcomm Atheros QCA9000 Series Wireless LAN Driver.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Please uninstall all QCA9000 series drivers and try this Qualcomm Atheros QCA9000 Series Wireless LAN Driver.

Frank

***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP Recommended

Uninstalled device driver, installed the new driver from your link but it's still doing it.

I ran the Network and Sharing Center troubleshooter for both Internet Connections and Network Adaptor catagories.  It found errors in both and "fixed" them but the problem continues.  

I got for Network Adaptor troubleshooting:  "The default gateway is not available" .

I got for Internet Connections troubleshooting:  "Problem with wireless adaptor or access point"   also says: The connection between your access point, router or cable modem and the internet is broken"

Still getting random "limited" and "Unable to Access the Network".

HP Recommended

I encountered this problem myself, but with a different wireless network card. In my case, much of the problem was due to the router/wireless AP. Updating the router/wireless firmware solved the issue for me.

Frank

HP Recommended

@lasvegaswireman wrote:

I encountered this problem myself, but with a different wireless network card. In my case, much of the problem was due to the router/wireless AP. Updating the router/wireless firmware solved the issue for me.

Finally, I think we got it working.

Updated the to the driver you provided

Ran the troubleshooting tool  Contorl Panel/Network and Sharing / Troubleshoot Problems-- Choose Internet Connections and let it make the fixes then ran it for Network Adaptor and let it make the fixes.

The final step was that we had to unplug the router and plug it back in (reset it) and now things seem to be workin as expected.  

Thanks for your your help!

HP Recommended

@lasvegaswireman wrote:

I'm curious about this driver info.  I also have the Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 and you are suggesting we updated to the Qualcomm Atheros QCA9000 Series Wireless LAN driver...is that the correct driver update for the AR9485????  The numbers are different which is throwing me off (AR vs QCA)

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.