Question

Tutor
itsbob2u
Message 1 of 20 (20,872 Views)
Accepted Solution

Share printer from 64 bit with 32 bit system

I have a new HP Vista 64 bit system with an attached HP deskjet 5150 printer.  I want to share it with a hp windows XP 32 bit system.  I can see the printer from the 32 bit system but not print to it.  I tried loading 32 bit driver to the 64 bit system and could not do it.  I tried loading 64 bit driver to the 32 bit system and failed..  I have not had any luck finding answers in other boards except they usually hint that it can be done. 

I can share files without issues.  Any solution??  Thanks for any help

Tutor
itsbob2u
Message 2 of 20 (20,858 Views)

Re: Share printer from 64 bit with 32 bit system - Resolved!

I found my own answer and thought I should share. 

Hi guys
hopefully this might save you a bit of searching and serious head scratching.

I've got a Vista X64 bit machine with some printers on it with native 64 bit drivers but still need to connect / access these printers from some Windows XP (32) bit machines.

You cam't use the usual trick of setting up a local tcpip port since the 32 bit drivers won't install on the 64 bit machine and in any case you'll get - Driver not valid for this OS" or some equivalent message.

Anyway here's how to do it - simple when you know how but it took me AGES to find the answer.

1) Make sure on the remote machine ensure you have enabled Printer sharing so you can access the device remotely on your network.

2) Please ensure that you have the correct Native drivers installed on your XP machine(s).

3) in the ADD new printer wizard (control panel) set up ADD LOCAL printer ATTACHED TO THIS COMPUTER (ignore the fact that it's on the remote machine) and uncheck the automatically search for plug and play hardware.

We are going to "Poodlefake" the remote printer to think it's actually attached to the 32 bit machine which is why you have to have the correct driver installed on the 32 bit machine.

4) now click NEXT. Create new port => type of port LOCAL. Click next

5) on the next screen you'll have to enter a port name.
What you have to do here is enter \\computername\sharename
for example if your remote computer is studionetwork and you've shared the printer as epson1290
then enter here \\studionetwork\epson1290

6) you'll then get a prompt (on the XP machine) of which driver you want to use -- since you've already installed the drivers just scroll down until you see the correct printer.

That's it -- just prin a test page and it works -- your driver will just "Pass thru" the 64 bit machine.

tou won't however in most cases be able to retrieve data back from the printer such as ink levels etc. You'll have to do that on the remote machine itself.

Hope this helps -- I know a lot of people are upgrading machines now - so you could have quite a few 32 / 64 bit mixed environments and of course some of the older printers won't even have 64 bit drivers.

Note this works in reverse as well -- your VISTA 64 bit machine or Windows 7 can use a printer attached to a 32 bit machine. Do it the same way.

Student
HIJohn440
Message 3 of 20 (20,781 Views)

You saved me from a couple of days of headaches and at least a few bucks (that I was going to spend on a USB extension cable), and who knows what else.

Thank you for the fix (Poodlefake :-))  and thank you for taking the time to post your solution for those of us scratching our heads over to get the same printer(s) to run on the same LAN for both 32-bit and 64-bit systems.

Student
wadigor
Message 4 of 20 (19,954 Views)

Re: Share printer from 64 bit with 32 bit system

Another answer to this problem is Network Magic. Its a networking software that seems to have a built in work-around for this issue. One downfall it does cost ($39.99) It is made by Cisco and they offer a free trial period. All i had to do was download this program and the rest was a breeze

Tutor
itsbob2u
Message 5 of 20 (19,948 Views)

Why spend $39.99.  Better yet do my solution and send me $20.00!
Top Student
JHEATON
Message 6 of 20 (16,678 Views)

I have this problem, except the desktop pc (HP!) with the printers, HP1320 and HP7680, attached is Win7 64 bit pc and the remote pc  connecting via wifi is a Vista 32 bit laptop. I think I followed your script ,I got clues from several other threads that lead me down that route, but when doing the add port bit i got an instant error message "Access denied". Do you have any ideas of where to go from there.

Further information: I can share files between these two computers. Another laptop with Win7 64 bit is in a homegroup with the desk top and can print and share files OK. I have been frustrated by this impasse for far too long

Student
afg786
Message 7 of 20 (15,728 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi there, I have a Hp laptop 32 bit, vista, but a new 64 bit printer. Will they comply with each other? Or can I upgrade my 32 bit drive to 64 ?
Please help me, if u can email the answer.
{Personal Information Removed}

Honor Student
GreyArea
Message 8 of 20 (15,609 Views)

Can confirm this also worked for my Epson R300 - after Epson tried to sell me a new printer because they said it was impossible...!

Thanks very much!

Honor Student
Haileyesus
Message 9 of 20 (14,617 Views)

It is really great. You heal my headache.

Thank you very much

Student
Hersiguure
Message 10 of 20 (13,710 Views)

i have read this article before and it works me fine .. but two days later i tried to do the same steps  to another laptop installed on Win 7 64 bit using WI-Fi Connection,  i did the same steps as the previous computer but this time it gonna work .. promting me this mesage NETWORK PATH NOT FOUND... I thought this problem is the wireless connection that i am using.. s

I have a windows xp machine installed and shared printer  HP LaserJet P2055d Printer, there is another Laptops need to connect and printer from that 32 bit machine. 

so any other suggestions.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation