Question

Tutor
salawinder
Message 1 of 50 (6,374 Views)
Accepted Solution

AirPrint problems

Looking for help, as I have tried everything I can think of!

I have an HP DeskJet 3050A (J611a, firmware version SMP1FN1115AR), which is connected to my Netgear WNR200 wireless router (firmware V1.2.3.7). I have three Windows computers connected (2 wired, 1 wireless) all print via the network absolutely fine. The printer is set up for ePrint, and I have tested this also - everything works fine.

My mother has an iPad 3 (new iPad, The iPad, whatever Apple want to call it!), software version 5.1.1 (9B206). I have connected this to my network and it can access the internet fine. When I try to add the printer (click the action arrow in safari, select print, select Printer to search for printers) it says "No AirPrint Printers Found".

I have installed the HP Home & Bis app, and this finds the printer and prints no problem, thus proving that the network is working okay.

I have followed the HP Troubleshooter, updating the firmware (all devices were already at the latest), I have enabled RIP_1 (and _2B & 2M) on the router, but to no avail. I saw a suggestion to disable IPv6, but cannot find how to do this on the iPad, but the router is not IPv6 anyway so don't think this is the issue.

If anyone has any suggestions or (heaven forbid) a proven solution I would be very happy to hear it before all my hair is ripped out!

Incidentally, the reason I am doing all this is to convince my mother to buy the same printer (or the 3070) - so far it is not leaving a good impression. Also I need to get her to come here to test so I apologise if I take a while responding to suggestions.

Thanks,
Paul. 

Tutor
salawinder
Message 2 of 50 (6,335 Views)

Re: AirPrint problems

Not trying to promote my own question here, but surely someone can give me some hints as to how to get AirPrint on an iPad working with an HP ePrint printer???

Teacher
headsortails
Message 3 of 50 (6,332 Views)

Your router is blocking Bonjour (mdns) packets. You can check wth Netgear to see if they can help you reconfigure the router or get a firmware update for the router.  

PhD Student
Brandon1
Message 4 of 50 (6,308 Views)

Are you still having this issue or where you able to get it fixed ?

If I helped you at all it would be great if you clicked the blue kudos star!

If I solved your post please mark it as solved to help others.

I'm a printer tech with HP.

Tutor
salawinder
Message 5 of 50 (6,306 Views)

I've looked into all sorts of things regarding Bonjour on my router, there are no settings specifically for Bonjour - but UPnP is enabled which should allow bonjour to work, but I still cannot get it to see the rpinter.

I have set port forwarding to port 5353 to the IP of the printer (which is static), but still no joy.

I am going to take my printer to my mother's house to test on her router (a TalkTalk generic unit, but it is newer so might work), but she has visitors and I am away next week, so it will probably be after the 29th before I get to test it.

Concerningly there were not that many issues I could find with people having issues with Bonjour on a WNR2000, so either it is a rare router or nobody else is having problems??

If anyone has any other suggestions I'd appreciate any other pointers to try when I can.

PhD Student
Brandon1
Message 6 of 50 (6,304 Views)

Let us know once you get a chance to test it at your mothers.

Tutor
salawinder
Message 7 of 50 (6,284 Views)

Well, problem solved, unfortunately.

I took the printer to my mother's house, connected it wirelessly to her D-Link (TalkTalk branded) router, and printed instantly.

I am amazed to find that the issue is my (otherwise excellent) Netgear WNR 2000 (v1), as it does everything else i have asked of it.

Unfortunately her router's wifi is rubbish, so for her to be able to connect from even 10 feet away hse is going to need another. I was going to recommend a Netgear, but will now reconsider!

Thanks for the help.

PhD Student
Brandon1
Message 8 of 50 (6,277 Views)

Your welcome. Thanks for taking the time to let us know what you found out and the solution. This will help others on the forums as they will be able to learn from this. Also if you click on the accepted solutions link others will be able to find this post a lot easier. Thanks.

Top Student
suriname
Message 9 of 50 (6,232 Views)

I would hold off on the 3070 printer.  I am having the same issue.  Works on everything but the ipad3. I have worked around it by using the hpeprint function and e-mailing my documents to the printer to be printed.  Not the best way of doing it but at least you can print from the Ipad - to a degree

I upgrade the firmware on router, since others indicated routers can have issues with the bonjour handshake protocol, but no luck.  I will let you know if I get anywhere.

Tutor
salawinder
Message 10 of 50 (6,209 Views)

Sounds like the same situation as me/my mother.

What router do you have? Given my experience I would say it is the problem.

A friend suggested this theory:

In the simplest setup, the Printer is connected to the router, the iPad is connected to the router, and there is no other equipment on the network, so for fault finding you can ignore any other equipment.

The only requirement for the system to work is that Bonjour is functioning correctly on all devices.

The iPad has Bonjour built in, so it's functionality should not be in question.

The Printer has Bonjour built in, so it's functionality should not be in question.

Unless the router specifically states it supports Bonjour, it may or may not, so is the only point in the system that should be in question.

Obviously the above presumes that all updates have been done on all devices. 

While I would say that the assistance on this forum was helpful, I would recommend looking for help with your router manufacturer in the first instance. If they insist that Bonjour is supported, then post a new topic here.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation