Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Product Name: OfficeJet 8500A Plus

Op Systems: Win 7 & Apple Ipad and Iphone and MAC

Error messages: None

Changes: never worked, no changes

I have two trays in my printer.  Tray 1 is used for envelopes and tray 2 is standard letter paper.  Tray 2 is the default tray for normal printing and works perfectly from my Windows 7 Desktop.Tray 1 is the only one that can handle envelopes so there is no choice on which tray to use.

However, when I try to print from my IPad, IPone or my wife's MAC, the print always goes to tray 1 which contains only envelopes.

There does not seem to be any options in the IPad or Iphone to select a tray but I would have thought it would go to the default tray that is setup in the printer. 

Because of this, it makes the eprint capability of the officejet 8500A Plus useless.  I love having the top tray for envelopes but I am not sure I would have purchased the two tray option if I had know of this difficulty ahead of time.

Looking forward to your reply

Ray

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Ray,

• From the Mac, you may change the tray settings as following:

1. Verify the second tray has been installed properly. To verify this open the System Preferences and go to Print & Fax. Open the print queue of your printer. Click on Printer Setup and from the tab menu choose Driver. Verify the box next to Optional Paper Input Tray is checked.

2. From the application used to print, click the File menu and select Print.
The Print window appears.
NOTE: The Print window might be minimized: Click the blue triangle next to the product model (Mac OS X v10.5 or v10.6) or the Show Details button ( Mac OS X v10.7 Lion) to see all available settings.

3. To select the Input Tray, click the lowest selection box listed as the name of the program (e.g. TextEdit)
Will appear as Copies & Pages within Microsoft Office applications.

4. Select Paper Type/Quality from the drop-down menu.

5. Set the Source option as the desired Input Tray.

You may save the settings for future use by clicking Presets > Save Current Settings as Preset...

• For iOS, Airprint does not support any tray selection, but only the 1st tray.

However you may use the HP ePrint Home & Biz app however, which do support tray selection:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02775166

Regards,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi Ray,

• From the Mac, you may change the tray settings as following:

1. Verify the second tray has been installed properly. To verify this open the System Preferences and go to Print & Fax. Open the print queue of your printer. Click on Printer Setup and from the tab menu choose Driver. Verify the box next to Optional Paper Input Tray is checked.

2. From the application used to print, click the File menu and select Print.
The Print window appears.
NOTE: The Print window might be minimized: Click the blue triangle next to the product model (Mac OS X v10.5 or v10.6) or the Show Details button ( Mac OS X v10.7 Lion) to see all available settings.

3. To select the Input Tray, click the lowest selection box listed as the name of the program (e.g. TextEdit)
Will appear as Copies & Pages within Microsoft Office applications.

4. Select Paper Type/Quality from the drop-down menu.

5. Set the Source option as the desired Input Tray.

You may save the settings for future use by clicking Presets > Save Current Settings as Preset...

• For iOS, Airprint does not support any tray selection, but only the 1st tray.

However you may use the HP ePrint Home & Biz app however, which do support tray selection:

Regards,

Shlomi

HP Recommended
Thanks, it works great from the Mac. Any idea if or when Apple will fix this in iOS?
Ray
HP Recommended

Hi Ray,

As listed at the end of my post above, try checking the HP Home & Biz app:

For iOS, Airprint does not support any tray selection, but only the 1st tray.

Shlomi

HP Recommended

Still need assistance. I need epecific instructions for the iPad, not a Mac. I have the ePrint Home & Biz app on my iPad 2. THe instructions you attached sday "From the application used to print, click the File menu and select Print." I see nowehere that it gives me any setup choices.Thanks!!

HP Recommended

Sorry, the first part referred to the Mac OS X only,

If you don't have ePrint Home & Biz installed, follow the steps below to get the app:

Once the app been installed you may shange the tray settings as following:

If the HP product has more than one paper tray, you can select the tray that you want to print from.
NOTE:HP ePrint Home & Biz automatically selects the photo tray if it is available and you are printing photos. If the photo tray is not available, photos print from the main tray.

1. On your mobile device, tap HP ePrint Home & Biz .
    Figure 5: The HP ePrint Home & Biz icon
    Image of the HP ePrint Home & Biz icon.
  2. Open the image or document that you want to print.
  3. Tap the Print Settings icon ( ) or ( ) at the bottom of the Print Preview screen, and then tap the HP product name.
  4. If there is more than one tray available, tap the paper tray that you want to use, and then tap Done .

Additionally. below you may find any possible print options provided by the app:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02796271

Regards,

Shlomi

HP Recommended
accepted solution
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.