Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

In this model (6700 Premium) the printhead CANNOT be replaced or removed.

It is part of the printer.

It apears to be that this issue is occuring to too many people.

Perhaps someone will take responsibilty and resolve it???

HP Recommended

The same problem cropped up for us just two weeks ago. Our 6700 is very gently used (the cartridges have just been replaced for only the second time since the lightly-filled "startup" cartridges that came with it when we bought it in September 2012). It immediately gave us this problem upon replacing its B&W cartridge (again, only the second time). It first gave us an Ink system error, then after we followed its prompt to turn the printer off & back on, it repeated the error. We clicked the "OK" and then gave us the apparent kiss of death, the "Missing or Failed Printhead" error.

We did the hard reset (unplug cord, wait, plug back in, etc) a few different times over the last couple of weeks... still nothing. I know we're more than 6 months out of warranty, but for something so mildly used, we're hoping for some help from HP.

As well, we're pretty loyal customers - this is our 3rd HP printer purchase in the last decade or so. Our first was a K60 all-in-one, which we gave to a cousin in 2007 and is still working to this day. We replaced that with a Officejet 7300, and passed that one to my mom in September 2012, when she needed a new printer (and when we bought the 6700). The 7300 is also still working just fine.

I'd appreciate being contacted by HP to see if we have any helpful options. We're planning our wedding and hoped to use the printer soon for some custom invitations we designed. Thanks!

HP Recommended

My HP 6700 Premium doesn't look like any of the ilustrations.  The "top" doesn't open for the printhead to be removed.  Only the front panel opens.  I need to remove the printhead to try to clean it.

HP Recommended

Rainbow...

Although your previous post about resolving the "missing or failed printhead" was posted over six months ago, I hope you can still contact me with further instructions, other than the online troubleshooting steps provided by HP.

I experienced this issue several months ago and attempted to resolve at that time to no avail.  This re-attempt is simply a last ditch effort before I put the 6700 on the curb and turn my back on all things HP forever.  Do you have a true solution to this obvious shortfall in product quality?  My printer was just over one year old when the error message came up.  If this was a $79 Lexmark printer, then I would simply chalk it up to "you get what you pay for."  However, this HP was well over $300 and NOT a piece of equipment I expect to purchase every two years.  Again, any solution/fix you can provide is greatly appreciated.

dgwoods

HP Recommended
Since you have the latest post, I was hoping you might be able to provide some insight. I just tried to change the cartridges in my HP 6700 after receiving the error msg about missing printheads. Hopefully it is still under warranty, I think I made the purchase last summer, but cant find the receipt! Nothing like this ever happened to my Epsons or Brother, but I was told this would be a great color combo printer....i keep getting the error msg....I am a bit concerned that there appear to be quite a few us experiencing the same problem!!! Please advise how this may be remedied. I actually had to go to kinkos. ;(
HP Recommended

Dear Dottiro,

I am sorry to relate to you that I have heard nothing from HP pertaining to the print head missing problem, nor have I had any helpful responses to my post.  My printer remains "broken," although it has never even printed an entire ream of paper. My disgust with HP and their clearly ambivilant attitude toward their customers is extreme.  They have produced an costly, yet poor quality piece of equipment and will do nothing to address their manufacturing failure.  HP is no longer an option for my technology needs.  Again, my aplogies.  I wish you well.

HP Recommended

Rainbow,

I am having the same issue with my 6700 and would like to resolve if possible. You have my permission to send a private message.

HP Recommended

Two months have gone by, and no feedback from HP whatsoever. It's clear that they are completely aware that there is a widespread defect on this model, and they have no plans to address it. I'm sure they weighed their options, whether it was in their best financial interest to either address the problem & provide support, or to sweep it under the rug & lose customers like ourselves. It looks like, in this case, we're expendable.

I couldn't go too long without a printer, and since the definition of "insanity" is doing the same thing over & over while expecting a better result, I opted to choose a different brand. About 6 weeks ago, I chose an Epson WorkForce WF-7510 wide-format all-in-one. It retailed at $250, but is usually on-sale for a little over $200. It has been fantastic. It is light-years quieter & smoother running than HP 6700, has a very innovative feeder tray that opens & closes (and folds nearly flat in the closed position), and performs fantastically. It runs, looks, & feels far more substantial than the last two HP's we've owned. Claims that it's of office-grade quality isn't just fluffing / lip-service as it was with the 6700. It really is a professional-grade product.

I'm sorry that it didn't work out with HP. They've lost a customer. I'm sure that we're far from the only ones. Based on this experience, and that HP is trying to avoid addressing what is obviously an epidemic problem for this model, I've learned not to give them anymore of our business.

HP Recommended

My Officejet 6700 is displaying the following "Missing or Failed Printerhead" . Replacing the print cartridges and powering down the printer did not correct the error. What is the issue and how can the printer be repaired?

HP Recommended

i have a hp officejet 6700 premium. the warranty has run out in february 2014. I have a message 'missing or failed printhead'. I have tried rebooting it by pulling the power suppy off fo 60 seconds but have not had any joy. I have also put new 933XL cartridges in to no avail . Any other help appreciated to resolve the problem.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.