Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

Brand new HP64 black ink cartridge keeps giving error message to reinstall.  Tried cleaning but the error message wont go away.  If I put a used cartridge in the message goes away.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Frank367,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like there might be an issue with the new HP64 black ink cartridge itself, rather than with the printer. Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try.

• Check the Cartridge: Inspect the new cartridge for any visible damage or defects. Make sure the protective tape or plastic covering is completely removed from the cartridge.
  • Reinstall the Cartridge: Take out the new cartridge and reinstall it firmly into the printer. Ensure that it is properly seated and locked into place.
  • Restart the Printer: Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve cartridge recognition issues. Turn off the printer, wait for a few minutes, and then turn it back on.
  • Update Printer Firmware: Check if there are any firmware updates available for your printer model. Updating the firmware can sometimes resolve compatibility issues with new cartridges.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.