Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

Have an Office Jet Pro 8710, when I type in serial number it isn't recognized. Replaced cartridge,(twice) still says depleted. Ideas? Can't contact them because S/N isn't recognized.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @PanoramaGuy-16_ ,

Welcome to The HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I understand your frustration with the HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 ink-depleted error, especially with the unrecognized serial number. Here are some steps you can try:

Troubleshooting the Ink Cartridge Issue:

Clean the Cartridge Contacts:

• Remove the cartridge indicated by the error message.
  • Wipe the electrical contacts on the cartridge with a lint-free cloth.
  • Reinsert the cartridge firmly in its color-coded slot.
  • Repeat for any other indicated cartridges.

Check for Damaged Cartridges:

• Look for any visible damage like scratches or defects on the cartridges.
  • Ensure the cartridges are compatible with your HP OfficeJet Pro 8710.

Remove and Reinsert Cartridges:

• Turn off the printer and unplug it from the power source.
  • Remove all the ink cartridges and wait for a few minutes.
  • Reinsert the cartridges firmly in their respective slots.
  • Turn the printer back on and try printing.

Clean the Printhead:

• Refer to your HP printer manual for specific instructions on cleaning the printhead. This might involve using HP cleaning tools or running a cleaning cycle.

Addressing the Unrecognized Serial Number:

Double-check the Serial Number:

• Ensure you're entering the correct serial number located on the back or bottom of your printer.
  • Avoid any typos or extra spaces.

Additional Tips:

• Use Genuine HP Cartridges: HP printers are designed to work best with genuine HP ink cartridges. Using refilled or third-party cartridges might cause compatibility issues.
  • Update Printer Firmware: Check for any available firmware updates for your HP OfficeJet Pro 8710. Updates can sometimes resolve compatibility issues. Update the firmware on an HP printer

Refer to this document: HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 All-in-One Printer series User manual

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Take care and have a good day.
Gaya1239 – HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.