Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I enrolled in the Instant Ink plan to try it out with my new printer.  I bought it so I could avoid having to pay per page someplace when I had to print a few things.  I decided to cancel, because I don’t print enough, but when I do, I will need 50-100 pgs.  

I just discovered that if I terminate my plan and reconnect to the printer HP automatically hobbles my printer remotely and will not allow the cartridges to continue working.

This is literally extortion.  You are effectively coming into my home to kneecap the printer I paid good money for if I don’t agree to pay a minimum per month whether I use it or not.  If I go over the allowed pages per month, you add extra charges.   This cannot possibly be legal, and HP surely knows this.  I believe it was planned into the business model, counting on people to shrug and pay extra to use their own purchased printer. 

The cartridges hold a generous amount of ink, but I have yet to connect to the printer again because HP apparently controls the **bleep** thing.  It is too late to return the printer and I can’t afford to buy another.   I don’t know how this problem can be solved, but am hoping to find a solution from HP or wait for the inevitable, eventual class action lawsuit that is probably part of the business model anyway.  

HP has lost my trust and customer loyalty and I will be letting people know about my experience.   Saving copies (ha) of this post.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HP sent this private reply to me:

“Thank you for waiting! I understand your concern and to help you out, I have escalated your concern to HP's Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options (if any).    You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding Holidays & Weekends).    ...”

This is automessage copy/paste artificial empathy.  Unless you are going to buy the printer back or stop connecting to my printer so I can use up the ink I have been paying for monthly, **bleep** off.

Don’t bother replying.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I also want to add that none of the smaller volume cartridges specific to my printer are available locally.  To fully replace the current ones (which are still full after 7 months) buying from amazon is approximately 1/3 of the original printer price.   HP **bleep**.

HP Recommended

@Uatu

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

This situation will need some additional support from our internal teams in HP. For that to happen, we will give you additional instructions/information via Private Message.

Please do check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP sent this private reply to me:

“Thank you for waiting! I understand your concern and to help you out, I have escalated your concern to HP's Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options (if any).    You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding Holidays & Weekends).    ...”

This is automessage copy/paste artificial empathy.  Unless you are going to buy the printer back or stop connecting to my printer so I can use up the ink I have been paying for monthly, **bleep** off.

Don’t bother replying.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.