Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

New cartridges placed in printer red X is still flashing will not clear. Am I supposed to do something to clear to let it know there’s new cartridges in there? It won’t print it all and it is Online.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Aprilwalker,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like your HP printer is encountering an issue with recognizing the new cartridges despite you replacing them. The flashing red X typically indicates a problem with the cartridges or their installation. Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue.

• Ensure Proper Installation: Double-check that you have installed the new cartridges correctly. Make sure they are securely seated in their respective slots.
  • Clean Cartridge Contacts: Sometimes, the contacts on the cartridges or inside the printer can get dirty or covered in ink residue, which can prevent proper communication. Gently wipe the contacts with a lint-free cloth or cotton swab dampened with distilled water to clean them.
  • Restart Printer: Turn off your printer, unplug it from the power source, and wait for a couple of minutes before plugging it back in and turning it on. This can sometimes reset the printer and clear any temporary issues.
  • Check Cartridge Compatibility: Ensure that the cartridges you've installed are compatible with your specific HP printer model. Using incompatible cartridges can cause recognition issues.
  • Update Printer Firmware: Check if there are any firmware updates available for your printer on the HP website. Updating the firmware can sometimes resolve compatibility issues and improve printer performance.
  • Try Different Cartridges: If possible, try using a different set of cartridges to see if the issue persists. This can help determine if the problem lies with the cartridges themselves.

Following these steps should help you troubleshoot the issue with your HP printer and hopefully resolve the flashing red X error.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.