Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ZBook Fury 16 G9 Mobile Workstation PC IDS Base Model

Dear HP team,

The fans of my ZBook Fury 16 G9 make a loud clicking noise every time they start (i.e. regularly, even at rest, especially during the summer). This is particularly annoying in a quiet environment, and even sometimes startles me. I also feel the vibrations with the hands lying on the laptop for typing.

I made audio recordings of the sound from above the keyboard [content removed], as well as from 1cm away from the fan [content removed], where we can ear more details (after the initial kick sound, we can ear something slightly scratching). Sometimes both fans are well synchronized and there is a single kick sound, and sometimes they are slightly shifted and there is a double kick sound.

The laptop has been making this noise from the very beginning. I was hoping that I would get used to it, or that a BIOS update would fix it, but I have installed all the BIOS updates without any change, and with the spring and warmer weather the fans  start more often and it's becoming really irritating.

I found another post describing exactly the same issue, but with no official response from HP, and no real response except waiting for a BIOS update. That was more than 1 year ago.

I also tried to configure the BIOS so that the fans are always on when plugged-in, but then the air blowing noise is very strong (not the lowest speed it seems).

I am really disappointed about this for a business notebook, and I hope I will get an official answer with an actual solution. I still feel that a BIOS update could fix it, with a smoother start, and/or a better management so that the fan constantly runs at very low speed when needed, instead of constantly stopping and starting at medium speed. But if it is a hardware defect, I would like a confirmation in order to have it fixed under the warranty.

Thanks for your support

EDIT: the links that I provided to audio recordings of the issues have been removed without notice by a moderator. But I didn't find why in the rules page, and I didn't find how to contact directly the moderator to ask them why it was removed and what should I do to provide these files. I try now to provide them now as a link to a webpage with players, instead of direct links to audio files, in case it was the problem. To the moderators, if it is sill not ok, please contact me and explain me why, and what should I do instead.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.