Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

NOTE: the usb-c g5 dock is a passthrough dock, which means the OS is supposed to find all its components and load appropriate drivers. This dock does NOT have DisplayLink hardware, nor it can use that driver. The limitation of extended displays is the fact that MacOS does not support (to my knowledge) DP hub, which is how the 2 DP ports in the dock are architected. The other possibility is the hp usb-c universal g2 dock, which DOES use a displaylink chip and will use the displaylink driver - no comment on MacOS support, although it should work well

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Thanks for clarifying, I nearly went mad on this one as I thought that the G5 would serve well, too - but according to the DisplayLink-website it is indeed the G2-model I need - https://www.displaylink.com/products/universal-docking-stations

I have now ordered it and will give it an instant try on Friday - I'll let you know wether this solved the problem or not. Thanks for the hint on that one!

Best regards,

Oliver

HP Recommended

hi, I just wanna share my experience. My colleague has G5 for his windows laptop and it works ok for him. I have MacBook Pro M1 and I can confirm that you can use the G5, however only with one external monitor. I had to buy the G2 dock and download displaylink drivers so it would work with 2 external displays (also in clamshell mode). And I must say it work pretty well👍

HP Recommended

It's solved!

Today the G2-dock arrived and I can confirm that this solved the problem with two HP Z24n-displays and the M1 MacBook Air running macOS Big Sur 11.2.2. DisplayLink Manager 1.3.0 instantly detected both monitors and mirrored at first, I took down the daisy-chain scenario and attached both displays to the dock natively by DisplayPort.

Everything works as expected with 60 Hz and even in the Air's clamshell mode so that I finally gained my favorite setup and am just absolutely flashed.

@Soccer_dan - thanks for the hint on the proper dock which now serves as the ideal dock for my MacBook Air M1 AND my HP Elite x2 - you did it!

Best regards,

Oliver

HP Recommended

Hi Oliver, 

I have the same configuration that you, Macbook Air with Big Sur 11.2.3 (the only difference) and DisplayLink Manager 1.3. I have two monitors connected to the G2-dock using DP ports but only detect the monitors in mirror mode and the connection status of  DisplayLink Manager says "No monitor detected". You did some extra step in your configuration process ?

Best regards.

Daniel.

HP Recommended

Hey Djayu,

are you sure you gave the app its permissions for screen recording as shown here and can you confirm you have the USB-C G2-dock and not the (incompatible) Thunderbolt Dock G2?

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-25 um 08.37.03.jpg

Also both monitors must be directly connected to the Dock instead of being daisy-chained to each other which will also lead to the mirroring-effect you mentioned. Apart from that, there should be NO reason why the DisplayLink-connection should not work, at the moment I am also running on Big Sur 11.2.3. I recently blogged about my positive experiences here, maybe this will help you:

https://medium.com/the-shadow/how-to-bypass-apples-limitations-and-address-more-than-two-external-di...

Best regards and good luck (please drop a note if you managed to solve your problem!),

Oliver

HP Recommended

Thanks Oliver for the quick response, I started all the process again and a difference of the first time, now after the installation they ask me for screen recording permissions, the first time i did this step on manual way.

Now i have the dock working as i want.

Thanks for your time

Best Regards.

Daniel

HP Recommended

Daniel,

sounds great - you're welcome 😀 !

Best regards,

Oliver

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.