Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy/ProBook 730 G4/Pav x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I wonder of you could help with one or two questions to help me decide which of the following might be the better option for me.

ProBook 430 G4 13” Full HD Laptop with SSD (Part Number: Y7Z45EA#ABU) – Smart Charge

ENVY 13-ab007na Touchscreen Laptop with 3 year warranty (Part Number: ECC_BUNDLE_6331216) – Fast Charge

Pavilion x360 13-u112na Convertible Laptop (Part Number: 1AP73EA#ABU) – Fast Charge

I require a compact (13-14 inch) laptop with all-day battery life; latest generation Intel i5 or i7; wireless; Windows 10; full Microsoft Office suite (appreciate this will be an extra); decent graphics; fast charging; lightweight – the machine will be mainly business use. I do not need for gaming, or streaming films etc.

In comparing these machines they appear to meet my needs, however –

• I am not sure what the benefit might be of a touch screen – sounds great, but would it benefit me?
  • What is the difference between Fast Charge (Envy / Pavilion x360) and Smart charge (ProBook)?
  • Presume both are wireless enabled capable of accessing internet?
  • What differences between Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro?
  • I note from the uk HP website that the Envy comes with a “Bundle” providing 3 year warranty – is there a similar Bundle for the ProBook?
  • Sorry for all the questions, I look forward to hearing from you soon.
  • Many thanks, Robbiesmum
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you use the laptop like a laptop with a screen and keyboard you do not need a touchscreen. I have had a couple and I just do not ever run them with touch. 

Windows 10 Pro can connect to a domain network and has bitlocker security. If you are a regular user and not connected to a corporate network you can get by with Windows 10 Home. 

All day battery life is very elusive and you should not assume any of these laptops will provide it. 4 to 5 hours is a much more reasonable battery runtime estimate. 

Any laptop offered in today's market will be wireless...not an issue there. 

Fast charge fine print:

1. Recharges your battery up to 50% within 30 minutes when the system is off (using “shut down” command). Recommended for use with the HP adapter provided with the notebook, not recommended with a smaller capacity battery charger. After charging has reached 50% capacity, charging speed will return to normal speed.

Smart charge just means there is an electronic chip in the battery that governs charge/discharge:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c00596784

The Probook is a Business/Enterprise model and they are just a higher class of laptop...much more robust in construction and easier to work on/upgrade than the Pavilion and Envy consumer models. 

I believe the Probook has a 3 year warranty by default. 

Any more questions post back. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

If you use the laptop like a laptop with a screen and keyboard you do not need a touchscreen. I have had a couple and I just do not ever run them with touch. 

Windows 10 Pro can connect to a domain network and has bitlocker security. If you are a regular user and not connected to a corporate network you can get by with Windows 10 Home. 

All day battery life is very elusive and you should not assume any of these laptops will provide it. 4 to 5 hours is a much more reasonable battery runtime estimate. 

Any laptop offered in today's market will be wireless...not an issue there. 

Fast charge fine print:

1. Recharges your battery up to 50% within 30 minutes when the system is off (using “shut down” command). Recommended for use with the HP adapter provided with the notebook, not recommended with a smaller capacity battery charger. After charging has reached 50% capacity, charging speed will return to normal speed.

Smart charge just means there is an electronic chip in the battery that governs charge/discharge:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c00596784

The Probook is a Business/Enterprise model and they are just a higher class of laptop...much more robust in construction and easier to work on/upgrade than the Pavilion and Envy consumer models. 

I believe the Probook has a 3 year warranty by default. 

Any more questions post back. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.