Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Here's how I located this item, from HP source:

Googled "z800 spare parts"

Went to the HP site result near the top that says "HP Z800 Workstation -  Spare Parts"

Did a search in that for "heat sink", not heatsink.  There will be only one match if you search using that.

Looked up the spare part number on eBay and the web... below is the HP number "for high performance CPU":

535588-001..... right now there are no great deals on eBay, but maybe elsewhere on the web.  So......

Googled 535588-001, and below is what it looks like in its HP Part Surfer entry.  Note the 3 heat exchange tubes rather than 2.  Let us know what HP charges for one of those if you use its Part Surfer system.... that would be interesting.

535588-001.jpg

If you look closely at the image you'll see that white 5-pin plug end has a ground jumber from pin 1 to pin 5, which is how the motherboard knows it has a "performance" heatsink attached rather than one of the lower performance mainstream heatsinks (which generally would have the same white plug, but only use the first 4 pin holes).  As far as using another non-HP heatsink/fan rather than this one I'd not personally do that because the HP fan shown will be tuned by HP to the motherboard's PWM fan speed control system.  You need to use the proper wiring/plug anyway.  You can spoof the motherboard by replicating the special wiring, but for a 130W processor I'd want to use what HP has engineered to work.

Of interest, the Z400, I believe, was also available with one 130W processor, and thus it will have had a similar "performance" heatsink/fan.  In fact that may have had a different part number but be identical otherwise.

HP Recommended

However, if you think about it, 001 mother boards were designed with slower, older CPUs and heat sink, so, chances

are, with 

heat sinks not really the high performance an HP Z800 3.46 5677 CPU would require..... And here I am with 2 such

CPUs in house, only one installed from fear of buying the wrong heat sink.  I've seen various sale ads in eBay for heat

sink "supposedly"  for Z400, Z600, Z800 systems, makes no sense to me if we  are talking about a 3.46 5677 CPU.

HP Recommended

I hear you, but remember that older, slower in computers does not necessarily mean running cooler.  The HP source noted gives you two specific heatsinks for this workstation, one for the mainstream processors and the second for the hot running "performance" processors.

So, you have the correct answer.  I agree that there is a mishmash of misinformation out there about this issue.

What you want is that one, which has the three heatubes, the larger surface area of cooling fins, and the larger thicker fan with the pin 1 to 5 ground jumper. 

HP Recommended

Thanks, would you kindly double check item #381398399855 on referred source, if you think it works on the Z800

will go for it.   Price not bad, I think.  Thanks again.

HP Recommended

EDIT:  PLEASE SEE THE RESPONSE FROM ANGMED TOWARD THE BOTTOM OF THIS SET OF POSTS.  THE HEATSINK HE BOUGHT FITS FINE ON THE SOCKET OF HIS Z800, BUT IS THE "PERFORMANCE" HEATSINK/FAN FOR THE Z400 AND HAS OUTSIDE DIMENSIONS THAT DO NOT FIT WITH THE MEMORY COOLING SYSTEM ON THAT WORKSTATION.  WHETHER THIS WOULD BE AN ISSUE ALSO WITH A Z600 IS YET TO BE DETERMINED.  I HAVE TWO OF THOSE COMING AND WILL POST ON WHETHER IT IS.  I BELIEVE THE PERFORMANCE HEATSINK/FAN FOR THE Z600 AND THE Z800 MAY BE IDENTICAL.

Below is the official one for the Z800, and note the labels that give both the HP Spare P/N and the HP Assembly P/N:

For Z800.jpg

Then you zoom in and rotate... this is the one for the Z800, from the pic above:

Rotated label.jpg

So, you can see that your referred source's 463981-001 AS P/N is a bit off the official number, but at that price I'd not hesitate to experiment.  As noted, the Z400 Performance heatsink/fan might be identical to the Z800 one but with different numbers.  The socket for the processor(s) is the same so you should not have fit issues at the attachment points.  Proportions look right, but there may be other side parts on the motherboard to worry about.   Price is more than right.  Good find, if it really ends up fitting with no issues.

EDIT:  THE OP GIVES FOLLOWUP BELOW THAT DOCUMENTS THAT THE PERFORMANCE HEATSINK/FAN FOR THE Z400 IS NOT A PERFECT FIT FOR THE Z800.  THERE IS AN ISSUE WITH THE Z800 MEMORY FAN COOLING UNIT NEEDING MORE SPACE THAN THIS NON-OFFICIAL HEATSINK PROVIDES.  ATTACHED IS A PIC OF WHAT HE BOUGHT, WHICH WOULD WORK FINE IN A Z400:

Z400 463981-001 1 of 2.jpg

Z400 463981-001 2 of 2.jpg

HP Recommended

Thanks for the input, most appreciative.............Great show !!!  

Attempted to give you a deserved Kudos, not sure it worked, please advice 

Bought it, very excited, now praying.

HP Recommended

Hi Rich 🙂

Update on my quest to adding CPU, memory and heat sink....

The above mentioned heat sink seems to fit fine as you indicated, the system still on.  One fly in the ointment; due

to larger new heat sink's size, it is impossible to connect the memory fans housing, now running without the

memory fans  but get an F1 error and beep at boot, easy to ESC to bypass it.  Keeping an eye on temperature

just in case.  Very possible to disfigure the housing, thus eliminating one fan.  Thanks a lot for helpful input, Rich.

HP Recommended

Does anyone have an aftermarket solution for these high performance heat sinks? It seems that the OEM ones are very hard to find and pretty expensive if you do. I have a pair of X5680 CPUs ready to go into a Z800 that I'm using as a virtualization host.

What sort of issues might I run into if I -DON'T- upgrade the heatsinks and fans?

HP Recommended

In my dual Z800 one CPU has an older fan cooler a bit larger than the OEM required, the one issue is that the 

RAM memory fan assembly does not fit, therefore you get a booting error requiring to press F1, the CPU mary run a few

degrees warmer, that's it.

HP Recommended

I'm really hoping to avoid the F1 error because I may well need to be able to reboot the machine remotely as its a virtualization server and I keep it in the basement. It seems that installing a jumper on the connector plug might be enought to fool the BIOS (unless there's a way to NOT have it pause on boot errors).

I installed some software on the server OS to read the CPU temps and they seem to be running about 5-6 degrees warmer than the E5520 chips did. Considering they're hexa core and 3.34GHz compared to the 2.26GHz quad cores, that isn't a whole lot of difference.

I changed a Windows VM to 12 CPUs (6 sockets, 2 cores per socket) and loaded up a stress program. The stress program would generally run around 50% CPU while sometimes peaking up around 85%. A few of the cores hit about 72 degrees and temps fell back pretty quickly when I stopped the program. I'm going to run more tests on it tomorrow with the idle fan speed increased as well to see what that might do to help.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.