Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Pro 6300
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have bought a Corsair XMS3 DDR3 DRAM with a nominal frequency of 1600MHz. The problem is that the current operation frequency of my DRAM is 1333MHz instead of 1600MHz.

People have suggested switching XMP mode on from the BIOS, but I don't see such option under Advanced. I have updated the BIOS to 2.90 which is the latest version. How can I tune my DRAM to operate at 1600MHz in Compaq Pro 6300?

I have to mention that I already have two Samsung DRAMs on my machine that operate at 1600MHz without doing any modifications to the BIOS.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@Matt91 wrote:

I have bought a Corsair XMS3 DDR3 DRAM with a nominal frequency of 1600MHz. The problem is that the current operation frequency of my DRAM is 1333MHz instead of 1600MHz.

People have suggested switching XMP mode on from the BIOS, but I don't see such option under Advanced. I have updated the BIOS to 2.90 which is the latest version. How can I tune my DRAM to operate at 1600MHz in Compaq Pro 6300?

I have to mention that I already have two Samsung DRAMs on my machine that operate at 1600MHz without doing any modifications to the BIOS.

Those memory modules operate at 1600mhz at 1.65V. I imagine that as in practically all HP products as you cannot manually specify voltage and memory timings in the bios you are stuck with these modules only getting 1.5V hence the lower speed.

Check to see whether any unlocked / modified  bioses are available for your machine, perhaps these will have the advanced tabs unlocked to allow proper configuration of the memory.

The other option is to return the memory if that is a possibility and get modules which acheive the desired 1600mhz speed at 1.5V.

HP Recommended
Thanks a lot for your reply. The spec page says that it works in 1333 and 1600 both in 1.5v.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/xms3-16gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmx16gx3m2a1600c11
HP Recommended

@Matt91 wrote:
Thanks a lot for your reply. The spec page says that it works in 1333 and 1600 both in 1.5v.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/xms3-16gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmx16gx3m2a1600c11

Memory straight out of the box runs at the SPD speed (stock speed), and requires the SPD voltage.

@SO in this case 1333mhz @ 1.5V

To get anything above this you would need to set memory parameters in the bios.

HP Recommended

The problem is that HP Compaq Pro 6300's BIOS has very limited options. I was wondering if there is a workaround that allows me to tune DRAM's parameters by other means.

HP Recommended

@Matt91 wrote:

The problem is that HP Compaq Pro 6300's BIOS has very limited options. I was wondering if there is a workaround that allows me to tune DRAM's parameters by other means.

You can try this: http://www.tweakers.fr/memset.html

The problem is that even if it works you would need to set it manually upon each power on / restart. It is meant to test memory settings before you commit to them in the bios and not be a permenant solution.

HP Recommended

I tried to run this in my Win7, but it didn't work. The other issue is that I typically use Debian and need to have a similar workaround there in order to make it work.

I guess returning the RAM is the easiest solution.

HP Recommended

I have been working a bit on the 6300 Pro and the 8300 Elite.  These have same BIOS, and even take the same HP Recovery discs.

You are not running the latest BIOS yet, I believe.  I'm up to 3.04.  If one of these workstations is under BIOS version 2.99 then you have to stair step it up, first to 2.99, and reboot, and then to 3.04.  You should do that, for sure.  It is quick and safe to upgrade BIOS from within BIOS, as posted about in the forum here.

Memory can be held back by limitations of what processor is in the workstation.  Memory might be able to run faster but if the processor cannot then the memory controller will drop the memory speeds down to match the processor.  You seem to indicate that you have original HP Samsung memory that runs faster than the Corsair can.  I'd simply get 2 more sticks of that used off eBay.  Ideally I match both the vendor and the HP part number on the stick.  More than one vendor may make the same HP part number, but at least try to get 4 of the same part number and have two from the same vendor in each of the 2 banks.  Better, I believe, to have 4 from the same vendor in all 4 slots, but that is probably not true.

The memory is nonECC and unbuffered for the 6300 and the 8300.  The faster type is 12800 and the slower type is 10600.  Best to fill all 4 slots so you get the benefit of max memory performance, and best that they all be same size for that.  If you want 8GB or RAM choose 4 x 2GB over 2 x 4GB and two slots empty.  2GB and 4GB sticks, fast type, are (2GB) HP part numbers 655409-150 = 67162-001.... and 4GB fast sticks are 655410-150 = 671613-001.  Typically all HP parts have an Assembly and a Spares part number.  Look up both on eBay to take a look and cover your bases.  I prefer to only buy used memory off eBay if it has the HP holographic label attached.  There are exceptions if you know how to carefully match.....

You will get no benefit from running the faster 12800 type memory if your processor can't match its speed.  You can upgrade the processor, too.

Slower aka 1333 in this case

Faster aka 1600 in this case

HP Recommended
Thanks a lot for your thorough explanation. I have already updated my BIOS to 3.04 and the option is still not there.

I'm trying out other solutions. If none of them work, I'll probably buy Samsung DRAMs.

One of the other problems is that my Samsung DRAMs are 2x4GB and my Corsair DRAMs are 2x8GB.
Even when I remove all DRAMs and only keep one Corsair, it operates at 1333.
HP Recommended

Matt,

I'm assuming that if you just have the Samsung pair in the two darker memory slots you see that RAM running at 1600, but if you do the same with just the two Corsair sticks in place then you see those running only at 1333.  That tells me the memory controller is seeing them as slower, or defaulting to slower for some other reason.

In all my dinking with HP BIOS I have never seen an option to boost voltage or RAM speed.  That exists for other motherboards, but these are enterprise workstatins where those options would open up a big can of worms.....

By the way, I like the CPUz and HWMonitor (free versions) for some of this type of stuff.... from CPUid.com

Scott

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.