Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Phoenix 860-000nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

trying to change BIOS language using HP Bios Configuration Utility but get Error code 6 - Access Denied (failed due to BIOS permissions).

BIOS version is THI vA0.08.

I can read (get) successfully but cannot change any setting...tried to change other settings unsuccessfully.

What am I missing? Do I need to set a password first?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi there @mucckki,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!  I understand that you wish to change the BIOS language on your system to English from the current Dutch.  I am happy to assist you with this.

Was Dutch the language that the BIOS was set to out of the box or was it later changed to Dutch?

If the systems' original default was English, you could try looking at the motherboard guide for your system. HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - motherboard specifications, Thimphu. At the bottom of the page is an indicator for the Jumpers for the CMOS and BIOS password. If your default language was English you could use the jumper to clear the current CMOS settings, including the language.

Please let me know whether that works for you, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.  

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

I should have mentioned...

language is currently Dutch and I would like to set it to English. I removed the * and placed in front of English...essentially following instructions in the manual so that is not the issue.

thanks in advance for your help 😊

HP Recommended

Hi there @mucckki,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!  I understand that you wish to change the BIOS language on your system to English from the current Dutch.  I am happy to assist you with this.

Was Dutch the language that the BIOS was set to out of the box or was it later changed to Dutch?

If the systems' original default was English, you could try looking at the motherboard guide for your system. HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - motherboard specifications, Thimphu. At the bottom of the page is an indicator for the Jumpers for the CMOS and BIOS password. If your default language was English you could use the jumper to clear the current CMOS settings, including the language.

Please let me know whether that works for you, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.  

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Firstly, thank you very much for your support.

The language was Dutch out of the box.  I think the problem is that I can't set the password.

I've tried the following:

I set the password in the BIOS to "dd".

HPQPswd64.exe  /s /p"dd" /f"dd.bin"

BIOSConfigUtility64.exe /npwdfile:"dd.bin"

...but that didn't work.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Sorry ... I should provided the error I get ...

<BIOSCONFIG Version="4.0.15.1" Computername="DESKTOP-4SUGT0U" Date="2016/08/19" Time="21:28:17" UTC="17">
        <SUCCESS msg="Successfully read password from file" />
        <ERROR msg="Unable to process command. Password is set, but password provided is invalid" />
        <ERROR msg="BCU return value" real="10" translated="10" />
</BIOSCONFIG>

I've tried an easy password like "dd".  I've also tried "abcd1234" as password but with same results.

I also cleared CMOS and password using jumpers on motherboard and tried all the above again.

I can access the BIOS at bootup with ESC without using a password.

HP Recommended

Hi @muccki,

Flashing BIOS may reset the language to English, The link below will explain how to Update/Flash BIOS:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00007682

You can download the latest BIOS update for your desktop PC from the link below:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-phoenix-860-000-desktop-pc-series/8499708/mo...

Let me know how it goes 🙂

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for response.

I already did that but the language remained Dutch.  BIOS version is latest A0.14 Rev.A.

I think the problem is that I can't set the password.  I am hoping that once I can set the password using BCU I will be able to use BCU to change the language.

I've tried the following:

I set the password in the BIOS to "dd".

HPQPswd64.exe  /s /p"dd" /f"pwd.bin"

BIOSConfigUtility64.exe /npwdfile:"pwd.bin"

I got the following error:

<BIOSCONFIG Version="4.0.15.1" Computername="DESKTOP-4SUGT0U" Date="2016/08/19" Time="21:28:17" UTC="17">
        <SUCCESS msg="Successfully read password from file" />
        <ERROR msg="Unable to process command. Password is set, but password provided is invalid" />
        <ERROR msg="BCU return value" real="10" translated="10" />
</BIOSCONFIG>

Besides the easy password "dd" I also tried "abcd1234" as password but with same results.

I also cleared CMOS and password using jumpers on motherboard and tried all the above again.

I can access the BIOS at bootup - it currrently doesn't have a password.

Is it possible that I am not using a valid passowrd format i.e. must have uppercase and lower case characters as well as numbers etc?

Could it be TPM 2.0 ... not sure what this security device is but could that be blocking me from setting a password?

HP Recommended

Hi @muccki,

Found another way to change the BIOS language. Let’s try that.

1. Open the installation directory of “BIOS configuration utility”. Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\SSM
  2. Press Shift key+right mouse button and select “Open command window here”
  3. Type “BIOSConfigutility.exe/getconfig:config.txt” and hit “Enter”, this will create a dump file in the same directory.
  4. Open “config.txt”, scroll down till you find the Language option.
  5. The language with the “*” in front of it is the one that is enabled.  In your case, remove the * from before Deutsch and add the * before English and save the file.
  6. Again Press Shift key+right mouse button and select “Open command window here”
  7. Type “BIOSConfigutility.exe/setconfig:config.txt” and hit “Enter”.

Restart the computer, access BIOS and see if the language has been changed.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

Senan6806 - HP Support Agent

**Click on the KUDOS Star on the left to say "thanks" for helping!**

**Please Mark a Reply "Accept As Solution" if this has resolved your issue.**

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Your response is greatly appreciated!

I tried it and have pasted the response below.

The BCU manual states that /CurSetupPasswordFile:”filename” must be used when changing BIOS settings.

I've tried this ... see my 2 postings from ‎08-25-2016 ... and that is where I think my problem is - my inability to set the password.

C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\BIOS Configuration Utility>BIOSConfigutility.exe/setconfig:config.txt
<BIOSCONFIG Version="4.0.15.1" Computername="MADPC" Date="2016/08/30" Time="06:13:15" UTC="-7">
        <SETTING changeStatus="fail" name="Language" reason="Access denied" returnCode="6">
                <OLDVALUE><![CDATA[Nederlands]]></OLDVALUE>
                <NEWVALUE><![CDATA[English]]></NEWVALUE>
        </SETTING>
        <ERROR msg="An operation failed" />
        <ERROR msg="BCU return value" real="13" translated="13" />
</BIOSCONFIG>

HP Recommended

Hello @mucckki,

I went through "config.txt" file generated by BCU and found out basic requirements for a BIOS password.

Password Minimum Length
At least one symbol required
    *No
    Yes
At least one number required
    *No
    Yes
At least one upper case character required
    *No
    Yes
At least one lower case character required
    *No
    Yes
HP SpareKey
    Disable
    *Enable
Are spaces allowed in password
    *No

Yes

Please compare and make changes accordingly on”config.txt" file, then try setting password again.

Also provide full permissions for the “BIOS configuration utility” installation directory. The link below will show you how to set permissions for a particular folder

:http://hp.care/2bxK8Vc

**Click on the KUDOS Star on the left to say "thanks" for helping!**
**Please Mark a Reply "Accept As Solution" if this has resolved your issue.**

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.