Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Envy Phoenix
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

HP envy Phoenix won't boot.  Cannot get into bios setup, get black screen, f2 for diags, then uefi will not initialize but about 1 in 10 times. Ran 5 hours of diagnostics, all passed.  Changed battery, tried to boot off another good hard drive, no change in results.  Have unhooked everything but keyboard.  Running out of things to try.  Hard drive passed, but get a goofy hard drive error 3f6, which apparently has no meaning.  Same on two different drives. Help!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Greetings @Srjohnson918

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that your computer is not booting to the desktop. 

Kudos to you for trying a lot of troubleshooting steps on your own.

Did the issue start after making any hardware changes?

Did you disconnect the HDDs, connect only one HDD at a time and run an HDD test?

Recommend you to try rolling back the BIOS and check if it resolves the issue. Click here

For other troubleshooting steps, you can refer to this HP Article for assistance. 

Also, found an interesting post on HP Forums. Please try the procedure mentioned in the post and check. Click here

Let me know how it goes. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

One of two times the uefi - diagnostics initialized, I did roll back the bios.  Everything is unhooked and I cannot even get into the bios setup.  F8, F10 do not work.  I get an HP logo, then can hit either F2 or esc and I get a black screen.  Then no key works and after about 5 minutes, it must timeout and I get a blue screen, it says disk error 3F6 (even though diag components ran for 5 1/2 hours said everything was OK including the disk drive), and it says hit F2 for diagnostics.  F2 brings up UEFI screen 'initialalizing diagnostics', but they have not initialized since early yesterday.  I suspect it is the motherboard, taking it into the shop tomorrow morning. No new hardware or anything.  Working a week ago, was out of town and came back to this.  I even unhooked wireless keyboard and mouse and am using usb plug ins.  At this point, bare bones machine.  For once, I would be happy with safe mode.  HP help files have not been helpful. I especially like the advice to back up my files with this competely dead machine.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and trying the suggested steps. Please do have the computer tested and let me know how it goes. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The shop said, "it won't even post", never heard that term before.  He took out the video card and got video from the motherboard, took out all memory chips and got the same frustrating screens.  The problem is the motherboard on a high end 3 year old PC.  I have cannabalized it and ordered a new Dell.  Not happy with HP.  Bought my wife an HP laptop, very expensive, and it cannot keep up with her typing in Word.  May be MS Win 10 doing endless updates, but she has switched to an older less powerful Toshiba, also Win 10 and it keeps up.  I don't know???  Iused to be a Dell guy untilI had a terrible experience with their bad customer service.  I don't know where to go.  I want an IBM PC running DOS - rock solid.  

HP Recommended

Greetings @Srjohnson918

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options, if any. 

You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding holidays & Weekends). 

Response times may vary by region. 

Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.