Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)
Hello. I'm having a problem with my computer. When I try to turn it on it gets stuck in the HP loading screen. I used the PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI and it said that it passed the test, even though the Hard Drive SMART Check returned a WARNING. The program didn't give me any instructions to repair afterwards. Do I need to change it?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi there @mafi11235,

May the Forums be with you!  It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts and other support personnel. I understand that your computer is stuck on the HP logo on start up, and that there was a SMART driver error message. I am happy to help with this.

If you are getting a SMART disk error, then it is normally a warning of impending failure, based on tests the drive does itself. It could mean the drive has failed or is showing signs of failure, but in general you will want to replace it, and try to make a back up of your data as best you can, before it is inaccessible.

Do you have recovery media or a previously made recovery drive for Windows 10? If not you will want to obtain some for your system. HP PCs - Obtaining HP Recovery Discs or an HP USB Recovery Drive

Please let me know whether that works for you, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.  

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi there @mafi11235,

May the Forums be with you!  It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts and other support personnel. I understand that your computer is stuck on the HP logo on start up, and that there was a SMART driver error message. I am happy to help with this.

If you are getting a SMART disk error, then it is normally a warning of impending failure, based on tests the drive does itself. It could mean the drive has failed or is showing signs of failure, but in general you will want to replace it, and try to make a back up of your data as best you can, before it is inaccessible.

Do you have recovery media or a previously made recovery drive for Windows 10? If not you will want to obtain some for your system. HP PCs - Obtaining HP Recovery Discs or an HP USB Recovery Drive

Please let me know whether that works for you, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.  

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

Hey! Thanks a lot! Do I have to change it even if I only had a WARNING? I suppose I should since it is not turning on. Do you thin that, as a relatively illiterate computer person, I can make the change if I find a replacement of the Hard Drive? And I will obtain the disks then.

Aside from that, I think you solved my issue. Thanks a lot!

HP Recommended

In the best of terms a SMART drive message indicates that the drive shows signs of impending failure. It is supposed to give you a heads up to get ready and have a chance of saving any data you can from the hard drive before it finally dies.

If you have recovery media, and a compatible replacement hard drive you should be able to get back up and running, unless there is some other cause other than the hard drive. Just to be safe, I would also suggest that you try this process: HP Desktop PCs - Computer Does Not Start (Windows 10,8). Start from step one. In step three, based on your description of what happens you will want to follow the process in "The computer locks up at the HP or Compaq logo screen or the Windows loading screen".

It is possible that you can get back up and running for now, or there may be a more serious issue. If you do get access, I highly recommend that you back up or copy any important files, photos, etc to another external device, and if possible you can also try to make recovery media. That will depend on whether the hard drive is the original one that came with the computer and whether Windows 10 was the original operating system. This document: HP PCs - Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 10)  has the instructions on how to do a System Recovery, using various sources, and also includes instructions on how to make a set of recovery media, if it is possible. If it is not, then just follow the instructions in that other link on how to get a set from HP.

I hope this is helpful  If you have any other questions about this let me know.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
Perfect. Thanks for the help!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.