Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP compaq 6005 SSF PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My DVD/CD drive doesn't recognize a blank disk when it's inserted.  It will read disks and auto open disks that contain data.  The divice manage says the drive is working fine and a diagnostic test says all is good.  I've uninstalled the drive and reinstalled it, but I get the same results.  When I try to burn a disk, I get a message that says to insert a blank disk.  If I try to burn a photo, I get a message that says I do not have a dvd/cd drive capable of burning a disk.  I even replace the drive with the same kind of drive and get the same results.    I'm sure I'm missing something, but I can't figure it out.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@wcellis,

Was this an assumption on your part that you had a DVD-RW?

The 581599-001 is not a DVD writer according to this document.

If there is a DH20N on the original DVD drive, that is also a ROM drive, not a writer (burner).

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@wcellis,

Please download VSO Inspector , then report back.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

I've download VSO inspector and got this report.  For the read features. several media are checked.  For the write features, none are checked except the Buffer underrun protection.

HP Recommended

@wcellis,

Here is an HP document on DVD-drive detection. Please let me know if this helped.

This link on the filters might be very helpful.

Also, try this burner program.  Works in WIN 7 or WIN 10.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

Sholdn't some of the items in he write panel be checked, like they are in the read panel, in order to detect a cd is in the drive and it can be written to?

HP Recommended

@wcellis,

The recommendations I gave are to fix the filters, which can cause this problem.  As you said you replaced the DVD-burner with the same model, it is logical.  What is the exact manufacturer and specific model of that burner.  The only specified DVD burner is part # 581600-001.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

I will get the manufacture and product number for you.  I still have the old drive and I'll check them both to see if they are the same.  Before I changed the drive I tried to delete the filters, as I was told this could be the problem.   I went to the registry and found the subkey: 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318.  I didn't find any filters listed in the right hand panel.  I tried to delete the subkey, but I wasn't allowed to do it.  I will get back to you with more info.  Thanks for all of your help, so far.

HP Recommended

Here's an update.  I reinstalled the original drive.  It was recognized by the computer and the software driver was installed, according to the information in the task bar.  The original drive has these product numbers: HP PN# 575781-200 and HP SPN#581599-001 dated Jan 2010.  The other drive, I bought, has these product numbers: HP PN# 410125-200 and HP SPN# 419496-001 dated Dec. 2008.  If I leave a blank disc in the drive when I boot up, the computer tries to boot from the cd drive.  I downloaded the software you suggest for burning and it doesn't recognize a compatable burning device.  All drive operations appear to work except for the burning procedure.  Thanks again for all of your thoughts.

HP Recommended

@wcellis,

Was this an assumption on your part that you had a DVD-RW?

The 581599-001 is not a DVD writer according to this document.

If there is a DH20N on the original DVD drive, that is also a ROM drive, not a writer (burner).

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

I sincerely apologize for wasting everyone's valuable time.  I assumed it was a reader/writer because that's what my earlier HP computer had.  I was wrong!  It is indeed a DVD-ROM drive.  I don't do a lot of burning and I must have done my burning on my earlier PC and only used this drive for reading.  Thanks for all of your help and putting on the right path.   Boy, do I feel stupid!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.