Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
p6-2220t

Hello I am planning to upgrade my graphics card and cpu, For my cpu im getting a i3 2120. For my gpu im planning on getting a Gtx 550 ti,Can my psu handle both? And will my BIOS, and motherboard be compatible with my gpu and cpu?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi there @Reed71,

May the Forums be with you!  I understand that you are looking for some compatibility advice for some system upgrades you are planning.  I am happy to give you a hand with this.

Referring to the HP Pavilion p6-2220t Product Specifications and Configurable Options, and the HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Motherboard Specifications, H-Cupertino3-H61-uA TX (Cupertino3), you can see the following:

The power supply has a capacity of 300W.

Under the processor options the "Core i3-2120 (Sandy Bridge) (65W), 3.3 GHz" is an option.

Under expansion slots there is one  PCI Express x16 (Gen 2.0) slot

The GTX 550ti, is not listed as a configurable option, so taking a look at the GeForce GTX 550 Ti specifications  - geforce.com, to see what the card requires:

Bus Support                                        PCI-E 2.0 x16

Minimum System Power Requirement:  400 W

Supplementary Power Connectors        One 6-pin

The bus support is fine, but the power requirement is higher than your power supply capacity, so the PSU would need to be upgraded  to something higher than 400 W, and you need to be sure to have at least one supplementary power connector.  So as is, your system cannot support that card.

Please let me know whether that works for you, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.  

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi there @Reed71,

May the Forums be with you!  I understand that you are looking for some compatibility advice for some system upgrades you are planning.  I am happy to give you a hand with this.

Referring to the HP Pavilion p6-2220t Product Specifications and Configurable Options, and the HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Motherboard Specifications, H-Cupertino3-H61-uA TX (Cupertino3), you can see the following:

The power supply has a capacity of 300W.

Under the processor options the "Core i3-2120 (Sandy Bridge) (65W), 3.3 GHz" is an option.

Under expansion slots there is one  PCI Express x16 (Gen 2.0) slot

The GTX 550ti, is not listed as a configurable option, so taking a look at the GeForce GTX 550 Ti specifications  - geforce.com, to see what the card requires:

Bus Support                                        PCI-E 2.0 x16

Minimum System Power Requirement:  400 W

Supplementary Power Connectors        One 6-pin

The bus support is fine, but the power requirement is higher than your power supply capacity, so the PSU would need to be upgraded  to something higher than 400 W, and you need to be sure to have at least one supplementary power connector.  So as is, your system cannot support that card.

Please let me know whether that works for you, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.  

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

can a i3 2120 and gt 730 work?

HP Recommended

Your computer is Legacy BIOS  (7.16), and not capable of UEFI. The GT 730 is UEFI.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.