Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

HI,

Yeah!

It takes team work to solve some problems.

HP Recommended

@Grzwacz

Between the generous assistance of @chrisocowan and @Savism there is community team work.  Now we collectively have more answers than questions. :Halo::OpenSmile:

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

So I just got the same model and I have been following this forum religiously. I have the screws for the HDs but now how are any of you powering the drives? I cannot figure out how to power them at all. I have seen people say that there is a proprietary 6pin connector but it is not available for the US right now. So are you guys using some third party cables to power your drive or what? 

Thank you

HP Recommended

@DavyJonesCapn,

Still need a clear picture of the 6 pin connector (without shadows).

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Has there been any resolution to how to power an additional sata data drive? Need to know if there is a power cable available from hp or some third party vendor.

HP Recommended

So, I cobbled together a working cable by ordering a similar Dell cable off of Amazon and rewiring/soldering.   However, myself and another person on this forum, had two different models of Envy 795 (I have a 40xt) and we arrived at a different Pinouts using volt meters.  (This worries me a bit, before giving out this advice as generic for all Envy 795 models)

I started out my journey by calling HP Support, and the Parts dept (after contacting a supplier).    None of these people could help me.  I begged for Technical details on the board, and an availability date for the P/N.   I occassionally log on to part-surfer to see if it is avail.  No new news.  

I found a European based store on eBay that claimed to be able to get the part.   Only thing is they wanted $50 up front with no delivery date.  Needless to say, I didn't pull the trigger on that purchase.

@papawupa wrote:

Has there been any resolution to how to power an additional sata data drive? Need to know if there is a power cable available from hp or some third party vendor.

HP Recommended

@papawupa,

Here is a clear picture (so far offered) of the motherboard header       and some discription of the pin blockers.

No one stocks it in the USA, and I doubt any company would try to create the pin, as it's property of Dyson.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.