Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
p6370pt
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello community

I bought a HP tower in 2010, P6370pt, now it says HDD has issues, and recomends me to trade it.. so i tried, i bought a WD 1TB 7200RPM

When i try to install windows cd drivers that came with computer, it gives a error, saying the hardware is not compatible... well Ok i bought a new HDD...

When i searched in foruns it says I need to replace with a exactly same model HDD, because the original one had 512 bytes / sector.. (it's a WD WDC WD10EADS-65M2BX

So my question is, what can I do? Am I forced to search for a HDD with 512 bytes sector, or can i use one of the new ones (i think they say to have 2000 bytes sector) but I am missing something?

I greatly apreciate any help.

Regards,

Eduardo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There are still ways.  You can borrow a Windows 7 install disk from someone, if you know a friend that has a disk. Use the  COA sticker on the install.  If there is not a friend then HERE is a place that has proven good in the past.  Just use the Windows ISO Downloader tool they provide and pick Windows 7 Home Premium.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

I suspect there might be something else going on here than what you assumed.  A normal WD 1 TB drive is a common replacement for the hard drive and the install media should not complain about that.

"When i try to install windows cd drivers that came with computer" - what is this disk?  Is this the Recovery Media set that was created by this computer to reinstall onto a new hard drive?  If not then where did thid disk come from.  BTW: you could try a regualr Windows 7 install disk to see what that does.  It should not have any complaints.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Yes it was the recovery media that came with pc, im sorry i called it cd drivers.

Edit: found this on hp help search:

• The hard disk drive on your computer was replaced. If the hard drive was replaced, download CyberLink Recovery Discs utility, a software program that resolves an issue when recovery discs sent from HP do not work on a new hard drive. To download and install the program, refer to the CyberLink Recovery Discs Utility page.

sounds like the problem i am having?

HP Recommended

Yes I do remember that issue coming up before.  Another choice is to order  a new set of Recovery Disks.  If they cannot be found, then just a normal Windows 7 Home Premium install disk.  Then install any drivers that Windows misses.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended
But windows key will work in a normal Microsoft version?
HP Recommended

There should be a COA sticker on the case to indicate product key for reinstalling Windows 7

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

@TheOldMan,

You handling this, but can I clarify as issue?

The Cyberlink disc is only used when recovery discs sent from HP do not work on a new hard drive.

That has been stated many times.  Maybe he needs to follow the setup more closely.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

I know the windows key sticker, I just didnt know it worked with a clean windows 7, thought it was W7 HP only

The machine came without any recovery disks, it recomended to create dvds when i set up the machine, does that mean i dont have this issue of the recovery dvds sent with machine right?

Anyways, I am saying, at end instalation of windows, when windows says its seting up my hardware, it gives a error saying it cant be installed on that hardware (with the new HDD)

I then search for the code/problem and it clearly said i would need a specicy hdd cylinders or something set up, it was years ago I tried, but i will try again today and take some screen shots.

HP Recommended

If the COA sticker is for Windows 7, and then it will work with a clean Windows install.

The HP Recovery Disk set should have been made when the PC was new as you stated.  That is the way OEM's do it now.  They do not send the disks with the PC anymore, but you make your own.  If those are the disks that are causing this error at the end of the install, then most likely you are going to need to use a regular Windows 7 install disk, which should work just fine with the hard disk you bought.  The recovery disk should work with the new hard drive, also but there must be another problem.

See this troubleshooting guide:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01868346

You might need to buy a new set of Recovery disks:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02682650

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Well, oficial microsoft doesnt allow me to download windows as is says my windows key is from a oem product..

HP drivers support says my product doesnt have recovery disks available...

So im kinda lost, if the dvds i created have a problem, how do I solve it if noone gives me the chance to get windows 7?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.