Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion HPE h9-1215
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I want to increase system RAM to 32GB.  Will this require Windows 10? I currently have Windows 7 Home Premium.

Will this Kingston RAM work:

Memory Size 8 GB

Memory Technology DDR3 SDRAM

Memory Speed 1600 MHz

Memory Standard DDR3-1600/PC3-12800

Error Checking ECC

Signal Processing Registered

Also, I want to be able to run 2 - 28" UHD monitors at or near full resolution.  What Graphics card would someone recommend? I understand that the card should have at least one DisplayPort. 

HP originally had, as an option, the GeForce GTX 680 GPU. So I guess that should work.

My system has the i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4 GHz

Thanks for help with any known RAM/Cards that work on this system. And additional thanks for suggestions on whether I need to upgrade to Windows 10 to make all this work along with any Bios changes that may need to be made.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Big_Dave,

I want to thank you for all your help and suggestions.  I've already purchased Windows 7 Pro.

I've set up CPU-Z.

I will contact HP Sales for memory upgrades for my system.

I went to the Kingston memory tools site.  It only suggests using the 4GB modules since it is probably set up for a maximum of 16GB with Windows 7 Home Premium.  I need to work on this item.

And what a great suggestion on the graphics card.  it has 2 DisplayPorts!!!

You are the best.

Thanks and I'll let you know how all of this works.

Gary

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

Windows 7 Pro or higher will support memory expansion past 16 GB  but not Home Premium.

ECC memory will not run in your PC so use dimms that match with the existing dimms.

Most of the newer graphics cards should work in your PC.  Your PC has a 600 watt power supply so you should be good to go depending on your graphics card choice and the available PCI-E power connectors.

Do you have to UDH monitors? If yes, what is the make and model?

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Is Windows 7 Pro available any more? 

So, I should get non-ECC memory?  Or are you saying that I should pull the dimms and see what they say on them?

The Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 seems to fit the bill for what I need.

No, I do not have UHD monitors yet.  I thought once I get the system set up with a working graphics card and memory, then I would buy a 28" UHD monitor.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Do a goggle search or Windows 7 Pro or Windows 7 Pro upgrade.   You should find seller.

You can use CPU-Z to determine the dimm specifications, the number of dimms andthe slots that are occupied.

Your first consideration should be HP Sales or HP Support when considering memory replacement or upgrades. If you want to consider other manufacturers then the easiest way to avoid memory problems is to contact one of the major memory manufacturers. I am recommending that you try the memory tools from these manufacturers: Corsair, Kingston and Crucial. Once you have determined the dimms that you need, then contact sales or technical support to verify that you have selected the correct dimms. If you buy directly from the manufacturers, then they will stand behind their products.

The newer NVIDIA GTX 1060 would be a better choice compared to the NVIDIA 680 and some have multiple display ports. Additionally, the GTX 1060 comes with a bigger frame buffer.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Big_Dave,

I want to thank you for all your help and suggestions.  I've already purchased Windows 7 Pro.

I've set up CPU-Z.

I will contact HP Sales for memory upgrades for my system.

I went to the Kingston memory tools site.  It only suggests using the 4GB modules since it is probably set up for a maximum of 16GB with Windows 7 Home Premium.  I need to work on this item.

And what a great suggestion on the graphics card.  it has 2 DisplayPorts!!!

You are the best.

Thanks and I'll let you know how all of this works.

Gary

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.