Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
hp envy phoenix 860-000nd

a few days ago i bought the hp envy phoenix 860-000nd.

Within the shown specifications i saw it would contain a Nvidia geforce GTX 970 graphics-card. When i opened the desktop by unscrewing the tumbscrew i saw a graphics-card that looked nothing like the Nvidia i saw on the website of Nvidia. Since there is no other brand name or somthing like that visible i was wondering what card it is and why i don't have the card that was "promised" in the productinformation.

i hope someone can help me with this question because i get the feeling i got scammed or something.

(note; i bought the desktop from HPstore)

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

You are correct.  The HP ENVY Phoenix 860-000nd Desktop support page does indicate that the NVidia GeForce GTX 970 is installed.

Here is a popular image for that model.  Is this what yours looks like?

hp-envy-phoenix-860st-open-side-wires.jpg

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

thanks for replying.

But no, that is not what the card looks like in the desktop i bought.

the image you are showing is what i saw aswel when i looked up the the pc and the card on google.

that image is showing clearly that it's a Nvidia geforce card. just as they are pictured at their website.

http://www.geforce.com/sites/default/files-world/styles/652_width/public/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-970-top....

when i opened my pc this is what i saw

IMG_2736.jpg

it is all black, there is no text on it, so i cannot read what kind of card this is and most important it's not the Nvidia card that i was hoping to have seen in there

HP Recommended

I can see where it might lead you to believe it might not be what you expected, but OEM manufacturers might not put all the glitz on the outside of the devices.  It depends on the manufacturer that supplied the card.  Since there are several brand names for GeForce graphics cards, they might not all look the same.  Look in Device Manager under the "Display adapters" category.  Left-click on the little triangle pointing to the Display adapters to open the category.  It will identify the device that is installed.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I understand that there are several brands out there with an GTX970 graphics card.

But i would think that they would not tell the costumer that it will be a Nvidia when it's not. 

And i honestly bought this pc because i thought this "promised" Nvidia Geforce GTX970 card with that awesome look would be in there.

nevertheless i send HP an email about it and they are are looking in to this question of mine.

I really hope that they will resolve this. thanks for the info.

HP Recommended

From your reply, it would seem you did not look in Device Manager.  Look in Device Manager under the "Display adapters" category.  Left-click on the little triangle pointing to the Display adapters to open the category.  It will identify the device that is installed.

Sorry but you are claiming that is is not installed but failed to prove it.  Post the screen shot from Device manager to show what is installed.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

oh i'm sorry that i did not answer you.

I looked in device manager.

it tells me that its a nvidia geforce gtx970. but that doesn't explain why it does not look like one. 

i claim that the card mentioned in the specifications looks different from the card that i had found inside the PC.

and i really don't think that that is suppose to be like that. 

even in your first post you included a picture of a Nvidia Geforce graphics card in a HP envy Phoenix desktop.

that is what i expected when the retailer (HP) tells me what hardware is in a desktop. In this case i expected i would see exactly what you posted.

Now i just think its weird that it is called a certain name but doesn't look like it.

Especially when Nvidia is such a popular brand with a distinctive look and appearance.

i  suspect there are more people like me that buy things because of the looks of it.

so when i posted this question on the forum,

i hoped to see some post from people who had bought this desktop and show me what they found inside.

(btw the email i mentioned was already send to hp the day before yesterday (before my post on the forum))

HP Recommended

I understand.  However, since Device Manager identifies the card is indeed a NVidia GeForce GTX 970, just because the glitz and glamour is missing from decorating the card does not change the facts.  Since I do not work for HP and am only a volunteer, my opinion does not really carry any weight in this matter.  So unless someone from HP wants to weight in on this, I would have to say you were not misled, even though the fancy decorations are missing.

If you look at this Google search, there are many different looks for the GeForce GTX 970.  Each manufacturer has a slightly different look.  It just depends on the one HP spec'd for that particular order.  IMHO, I do not think you were short changed.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended
I also have the same issue I got an HP Envy 750-100nx .. says on my specs I have nvidia geforce Gtx 970.. I tried opening the case and saw a black card noth8ng like any nvidia card that supposed to look like.. any updates on this? But on the paper and system it registers exactly as a nvidia gtx 970.. but on aesthetics looks nothing like it.. just a plain generic black graphics card.
HP Recommended

Hi there,

Not really an update, they just say that the info from the PC specification is accurate.  

Even though the exterior looks nothing like the Nvidia card from the Nvidia official site and i still think its weird and i still think that when something looks different that they should advertise it as such. (like, specially made Nvidia Geforce card  for HP with an plain black casing).

Nevertheless i am  very dissapointend because i really love the looks of the offical Nvidia Geforce GTX970 card and i bought the Pc with the information that this card would be in that PC.

I cannot tell you why it looks different and why they don't advertise it as it is.

Maybe you find a more fitting answer. when you do i would like to know what it is.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.