Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ProDesk 400 G4 Desktop -
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought a: 

HP ProDesk 400 G4 Desktop - Intel Core i7 7700, 3.60GHz, 8GB DDR4, 1TB HDD, Intel HD Graphics 630, D...

from Tiger.  They didn't offer a SD Card.  I know one is available.  How do I get it?  It looks easy to add in the Manual.  The slot is already in my unit.  When I try to contact HP all they are interested in is to sell me something expensive.  Thay are no help at all.  Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ecamin2,

Alas, I did fully understand you wanted the Card Reader Module.

I tried to find the part number, but to no avail. That is why I asked you !!

I  called HP, and was told you could email:

hpparts.sales.ams@hp.com

Inquiry should state HP computer model, and that you want the Secure Digital (SD) 3 reader.

Although the build cost from HP is $7 (when you order a custom build from HP direct), you should expect a different cost (product and shipping).  Not sure what you saved compared to a custom build from HP, as that is now "moot".

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Tiger has a number of SD cards available, or you should be able to pick one up at any computer store.

I moved your post from the Sprocket (printer forum) to one more appropriate.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

My problem is I want to add a sd slot to my new comp.  Had I ordered it from HP they would have added it.  

i got it from Tiger :

HP ProDesk 400 G4 Desktop - Intel Core i7 7700, 3.60GHz, 8GB DDR4, 1TB HDD, Intel HD Graphics 630, D...

and they don't have a answer.  But I know HP does.  How do I order the one from HP.  It is listed at $7.00 as a add on if I had ordered it from them.  It's a replacement part.  The connection is on my Motherboard.  The slot is on my case.  The manual shows how easy it is to add.  But how do I order it? HELP!

HP Recommended

@ecamin2,

As you realized, the physical SD card reader is an optional item.  Do you have the part number ?

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

As near as I can tell it is listed in the service manual (page 25) as Card Reader Module.  I don't need any SD cards.  I need the module that could have been in my machine if Tiger had specified it.  It looks easy enough to install if only I could know how to order it.  HP keeps themselves protected against non service folks contacting them.  This is my only way to get an answer.  It was listed as only $7.00 if it came with the machine. Alas, it didn't. Can you imagine Tiger leaving it off for just $7.00?  I'm surprised HP doesn't make it standard.  Almost everyone uses a card slot.  I just don't like danglers and dongles.  Part #?  How do I get one?  The slot and connectors are on my machine.  A one screw change.  Remove screw, remove dummy plug, add module, replace screw, plug in cable to MB. Turn on Machine.  When I ordered the computer I saw the slot on the photo.  I just didn't read the fine print to find it was just a dummy plug.

HP Recommended

@ecamin2,

Alas, I did fully understand you wanted the Card Reader Module.

I tried to find the part number, but to no avail. That is why I asked you !!

I  called HP, and was told you could email:

hpparts.sales.ams@hp.com

Inquiry should state HP computer model, and that you want the Secure Digital (SD) 3 reader.

Although the build cost from HP is $7 (when you order a custom build from HP direct), you should expect a different cost (product and shipping).  Not sure what you saved compared to a custom build from HP, as that is now "moot".

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

I have given up.  I can't seem to get the part number from HP.  
HP Recommended

HP SD 3 MEDIA CARD READER for HP Prodesk 400 G4:

Ref : Y4Q92AV

Spare Number: 905606-001

HP Recommended

Thanks, from Y4Q92AV I found it at howardstore.

HP Recommended

I ordered the 905606-001 HP SD 3 MEDIA CARD READER, but it doesn't fit in the HP ProDesk 400 G4 Tower PC (5193082-03 1JJ56EA#ABH).  The ProDesk 400 G4 looks like a click and lock design. The 905606-001 has a screw fix design and totally doesn't fit the HP ProDesk 400 G4 front cover.

Correction, the 905606-001 (NEU13431253) appears to be the correct card reader. The click and lock design on the front cover plate is confusing. On second look there is a screw fix mount in the housing frame which places the reader on the right position.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.