Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 23 touch smart
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

on boot: HDD failure

Analysis:

1)Reboot

2) F2

3) "hard disk check"

4) "Quick check"

received : "Starting hard disk check"

10 seconds

received: "SHORT DST: "NOT INSTALLED", SMART CHECK: "NOT INSTALL"

Trying to determine root cause:

HDD or HDC/main board?

Can someone assist?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

After discussing with online support, removing SIMMS to force POST beeps and validate main planner board was ok, 1st level drew the conclusion the HDD had failed.

two options:

1) $89 for 2TB at best buy with local purchase

2) $349 + shipping for 2TB from HP support

Option 1 was chosen.

HP envy 23 is up and running on Win 10.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi there @pm9dcr

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, both from other users, HP experts and other support personnel. I understand that you are having problems running some diagnostics on your hard drive. I am happy to help.

As it is not even getting to a test, it sound like there may be a BIOS problem in play. By any chance, had you recently updated the BIOS? You may want to try restoring your previous BIOS and see if you can then do the tests.

See the following: HP Desktop PCs - Recovering the BIOS

Once complete try your tests again and let me know.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

After discussing with online support, removing SIMMS to force POST beeps and validate main planner board was ok, 1st level drew the conclusion the HDD had failed.

two options:

1) $89 for 2TB at best buy with local purchase

2) $349 + shipping for 2TB from HP support

Option 1 was chosen.

HP envy 23 is up and running on Win 10.

HP Recommended

This worked for me..http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04126730

The best part was it didn't cost me anything..I have a Desktop and it was giving me that blue screen fault..All I had to do was shut down the computer and press and hold the windows key and the B key ...you will hear consecutive beeps after about 40 sec..or so the BIOS screen will appear and it will automatically restore BIOS from a previous date ...just sit back and wait for it to finish...

Spoiler
🙂

HP Recommended
I press and hold the window and b botton same time but does not work display not turn on
HP Recommended

Your PC doesn't support this tool or something is preventing it from opening.

Reference:

HP Community Support article

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.