Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

@NonSequitur777,

I was looking for an 800 g5 sff motherboard on eBay for the i9 9900k upgrade when I spotted this modified 800 g5 sff for £30 more than the motherboard on its own. (linked below)

Just to make sure is this the right motherboard inside?

The only g5 motherboard I could find was £60 so I'm quite happy getting a more expensive item for spare parts, also means I don't need to cut my case (this one is already cut).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334968944295?hash=item4dfdb476a7:g:ksYAAOSwGf5kxnBP&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA...

Many thanks, Friddle

HP Recommended

@Friddle,

To cut (pun intended) to the chase: this offer is priced at a great price and looks legit/good to me.  Though the mod-cut in the upper panel is obvious -allowing a larger sized graphics card to fit, this deal offers plenty of spare parts you can use/repurpose.

The motherboard is indeed qualified by the Seller as an HP EliteDesk 800 G5 SFF, and I quote: "Motherboard chipset x370 supports 8/9th gen CPU".

If you decide to acquire it, check out its "System Information" ASAP:

NonSequitur777_0-1690753666345.png

Obviously, it should say "HP EliteDesk 800 G5 SFF" under "System Model".

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Hello NonSequitur777,

The pc I mentioned arrived along with the other parts I bought. I put the gpu in with the 500w psu from my other build (the one with the 8 pin pcie) and tried to launch with the old ssd.

As soon as I plug the cable into the psu, before I’ve turned the pc on, the psu fan spins fast and loud. And when I click the power button the pc stays on for a second before turning off, turns on, turns off. This repeats without any input.

Do you think this is a motherboard issue?

I saw a red power button at one point, I assume this is a code, I didn’t have enough time to figure out the code and I haven’t seen the red again.

I’ve tried this again with a fresh ssd and a usb windows install but have reached the same issue.

many thanks, Friddle

HP Recommended

@Friddle,

Please walk me through the components you installed in the HP EliteDesk 800 G5 SFF you purchased, especially the 500-watt PSU you mentioned.  -Didn't you mention that this power supply was able to power your G3 SFF?  And what was the p/n of the power supply that came with the G5 SFF?

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

hello,

The PC I bought arrived with a motherboard, 250W PSU (that is currently powering my 800 g3), cpu, ssd and an i5 8400.

Once I the PC arrived I swapped the PSU from my g3 into the g5 and I placed an rtx 3060 itx gpu in. My goal is to replace the CPU but for now I’ve left in the i5 8400.

I then plugged the PSU cable into the PSU. This is when the PSU fan ramped up to full and the PC wouldn’t stay on for more than a few seconds. This issue remained after switching out the ssd.

I only just realised I did not plug in one of the PSU motherboard pins. I have just fixed this which has fixed the PSU fan ramping up however it has not fixed the power issue:

When I click the power button the cpu and gpu fans audibly start spinning at a normal rate for about 3-5 seconds and then stop spinning matched with the power button light switching off. The PC then turns itself on and this cycle repeats even after trying to turn off the PC using the power button. To stop the cycle I turn off the power going into the PC via the wall.

The 500W PSU in the g5 now was working in the g3. And the 250W PSU from the g5 is now in the g3 and is working fine.

many thanks, Friddle

HP Recommended

@Friddle,

What are the part numbers for both the 250- and 500-watt power supplies?

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

hello NonSequitur777,

The 250W PSU from the g5 that is now in the g3 has a part number of 901760-002

The 500W PSU that is now in the g5 has a part number of L77487-003

I spoke to the seller and he told me the PC booted fine before shipping and he doesn’t believe the motherboard to be the problem.

I also switched out his Corsair vengeance LPX  8GB RAM for What I believe to be the same RAM but 32GB. There might be a speed difference between the two, I’m not sure the speed of the RAM that came with the PC. The RAM I placed in there has a speed of 2666mHz. Is this compatible with the i5 8400?

Many thanks, Friddle

HP Recommended

Hello,

Nevermind I have got the PC running.

I moved the sticks of RAM from the black slots to white slots and the PC launched. I’ve installed windows 10 64 bit. It looks like windows is using the previous windows license. I’m currently downloading drivers.

Once the heatsink arrives my next step is remove the i5 8400 and put the i9 9900k inside.

thanks for all the help, Friddle

HP Recommended

@Friddle,

Excellent news!

By all means, please share once you got the i9-9900K installed!

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Just to update

I got bored of waiting for the heatsink to arrive so I installed the i9 9900k with the stock cooler (~65W TDP) temporarily until the 810281-001 cooler is delivered.

The stock heatsink did better than I expected, it was able to keep the cpu at 77-83C while under a normal range of game loads. Although under very heavy game loads the CPU would thermal throttle at 100C, I made sure this rarely ever happened.

The upgraded heatsink should arrive in about a week's time, in the meantime I shall download some more graphically intensive games and see how the PC handles them once the cooler arrives.

I am curious, are there any other side venting low-profile heatsinks that would fit the 115x board cpu and board? You mentioned two before but they seem to be very elusive in the UK, or even Europe from what I could or couldn't find.

Many thanks, Friddle

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.