Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Does this HP product have an Asus motherboard?  I have checked the Accessories-System Tools-System Information but it does not indicate the motherboard type (maker?). 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No. If you had an HP desktop maybe. But as explained above your motherboard is not Asus and HP would have made the design and coding decision that Asus screwed up with Microsoft's help in the reported situations. HP has not made any such screw-up (that has yet been reported). 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

It sure is a bit difficult to tell since you have not identified your notebook and whether it is an AMD or Intel platform. 

HP doesn't use many ASUS  boards.

CPU-z may tell you who makes it. It is a free and safe utility thaht will give you all kinds of info about your notebook. post the name and part number here.

http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.76-en.exe

Help us to help you by posting the following information.

- see This HP web document if you don't how to locate the model number and\or product number.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

HP laptop Motherboards are "HP" motherboards. They are not branded Asus or MSI or any other company that makes standard desktop motherboards. When a laptop maker designs a laptop they design it from the bottom up including the motherboard. A motherboard from one laptop can only be used in that same exact model (or model series) of laptops. 

To complicate, the laptop motherboard may be made on an assembly line in the same building where they are making "Asus" motherboards, but that is another story. Also, some HP desktops may use motherboards that can be identified as having been made by one of the major motherboard manufacturers. 

Maybe if you can tell us the purpose of the question we can help get an answer that is helpful. If you are trying to figure out if you can buy an Asus motherboard at Frys and put it in your laptop that we cannot help with as the answer is no. 

HP Recommended

First of all I am NOT techno savy - just a dumb user.  However, an article in Yahoo worried me:

Earlier this year Microsoft MSFT +0.15% warned users that Windows 7 has serious problems. I dismissed its claims as a desperate attempt to shift copies of Windows 10 (and I still do), but now Microsoft has warned of a new serious Windows 7 problem that is very real – even though it makes no sense whatsoever

In short: Microsoft has made a seemingly small yet completely bizarre tweak to Windows Update on Windows 7 and confirmed it is crippling many users’ PCs.

The tweak? It switched the status of Windows 7 update KB3133977 from ‘Optional’ to ‘Recommended’. The bizarre part? Despite acknowledging the problems, Microsoft knew they would occur in advance and it has no plans to do anything about it.

PCs That Suddenly Won’t Start

It all centres around Asus motherboards.

Now 27 years old, Asus is one of the largest PC component makers and supplies motherboards to many of the world’s biggest PC makers. Recently it enabled Secure Boot in UEFI on all its motherboards. This wasn’t a problem for older PCs because Windows 7 didn’t support Secure Boot, that is until KB3133977 came along in March and enabled it.

The Good News And Staying Safe

The good news is Asus has now issued a workaround to get PCs booting up again. Furthermore Asus must take some of the blame for not reacting faster when KB3133977 presented a potential landmine and issuing new updates to its motherboards.

How do you know if you have an Asus motherboard in your Windows 7 PC? Go to: All Programs > Accessories > System Tools and select System Information. This will list your PC’s components, including the motherboard.

One downside: some major PC makers like Dell and HP rebrand the motherboard as the computer’s model number. In which case you should do a web search on your model or call the manufacturer directly.

I just need to know if I might have a problem.

HP Recommended

No. If you had an HP desktop maybe. But as explained above your motherboard is not Asus and HP would have made the design and coding decision that Asus screwed up with Microsoft's help in the reported situations. HP has not made any such screw-up (that has yet been reported). 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.