Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z240 Tower Workstation

Dear community,

Since the end of Windows 10 support is getting closer and closer we decided to start upgrading our systems to Windows 11.

We have quite a lot of Z240 Tower Workstations that perform good enough but the CPU (Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6) is not compatible with Windows 11. Therefore I did a test with a compatible Windows 11 CPU that fit into the Z240. I found the E-2234 which uses the same socket: FCLGA1151. I tought that this would work so I didnt do any further investigations.

Well it turns out it doesn't work as of now. When I plug in the PSU cable the systems beeps 3 short, 5 long, which means there is no CPU detected. https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_1997210-1528385-16

Does anyone know how to make this work? It would be really nice since it would reduce a lot of ewaste.

Thanks in advance.

Jop

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi, Jop:

There aren't any W11-supported processors you can install in the HP Z240 workstation series.

If you are interested in installing W11 on your PC as is, you can read this discussion for how I upgraded several HP and Dell notebook and desktop PC's that did not meet the W11 hardware requirements to W11 22H2/22H3

You have to use the version of the Rufus utility that I zipped up and attached in the discussion (v3.18).

Re: Issues upgrading to windows 11 - HP Support Community - 8517912

If the in-place upgrade fails, you should be able to clean install W11 using the bootable W11 installation flash drive you made with Rufus.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.