Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 251-a244
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to upgrade my motherboard of my desktop as the current one does not support a processor upgrade. Please what are my options. I tried to search on my own with no luck. Thank you for your time! 😊

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@taellyn 

Sorry no one has responded to your post, but the reason for that is because what you are trying to do generally does not work.

Let me explain why ...

HP does not make or sell motherboards; instead, it contracts with others to do that -- and the resulting devices are highly-customized for HP.  That means that you are not going to be able to find retail motherboards that are precise replacements for the HP motherboards.

The HP motherboards nearly always include custom jacks for front ports on their case, generally audio and/or USB jacks, and these custom jacks are not available on retain boards.  So, if you have a set of front audio/USB ports and you replace the HP motherboard with a retail one, when you go to reconnect the cables for your ports, you will find there is no port on the motherboard that will accept that custom cable.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@taellyn 

Sorry no one has responded to your post, but the reason for that is because what you are trying to do generally does not work.

Let me explain why ...

HP does not make or sell motherboards; instead, it contracts with others to do that -- and the resulting devices are highly-customized for HP.  That means that you are not going to be able to find retail motherboards that are precise replacements for the HP motherboards.

The HP motherboards nearly always include custom jacks for front ports on their case, generally audio and/or USB jacks, and these custom jacks are not available on retain boards.  So, if you have a set of front audio/USB ports and you replace the HP motherboard with a retail one, when you go to reconnect the cables for your ports, you will find there is no port on the motherboard that will accept that custom cable.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.