Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Desktop PC - 880-029
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i have an omen 880-029 and i want to upgrade my cpu but the info is confusing on what i can upgrade too, whats the best cpu i can upgrade to?

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@dr_forgets_alot , welcome to the Community.

Your computer comes with an i7-4700 CPU.  The only upgrade is to an

Intel Core i7-7700K (Kabylake) 4.2 GHz Quad Core
91 W
Integrated HD Graphics 630

This CPU can be overclocked to give you better performance.  However, you have to be extremely careful when overclocking not to overheat the CPU and fry it.

Please click the "Yes" button if my reply was helpful and "Accept as Solution" if your problem is Solved!!

Here is a simple HP Knowledge Base article that will explain what to consider when overclocking a CPU.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

i have an i7 7700 cpu in it already, im wanting to upgrade to windows 11 but the cpu is the only thing preventing that, would an i7 8700k work in my computer, i have the default stuff in my pc (tampa 2 motherboard) and it says it can take that, but when i search for my computer specifically it says it cant so which HP site is wrong idk?

Capture.PNG

Capture 1.PNG

  top is the site for my specific computer and bottom is my specific motherboard, both have same motherboard but say diffrent things

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @dr_forgets_alot!

I am sorry to say that the i7-8700K is not listed in the "Processor upgrade information" as a CPU that has been fully tested to assure it will be compatible with your motherboard.  Therefore, it most likely won't work.

HP Recommended

Except the omen 880-029 has a tampa 2 motherboard as I showed before, if I search tampa 2 motherboard compatibility on hp website it says the i7 8700 is compatible, why dos it say differently on the website for the omen 880-029 compared to searching the motherboard along on the same site and same company?

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @dr_forgets_alot!

HP uses their motherboards in many different configurations.  Therefore, a discrepancy can occur in the specs for a model.  The Tampa 2 motherboard doesn't list an i7-7700 processor.  It does list an i7-8700K, however.  This would be the fastest processor that would be compatible with your motherboard.

HP Recommended

so since i have the tampa 2 motherboard i can upgrade to 8700k,

also it says on the official site that the omen 880-029 has the tampa 2 but can only max at 7700k, but the tampa 2 official HP site says the 8700k, WHICH IS RIGHT?

HP Recommended

@dr_forgets_alot,

Which is right?

An OMEN by HP 880-029 Desktop PC (Z5N07AA), according to: OMEN by HP 880-029 Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support is fitted with a Tampa motherboard (SSID: 8307) and is limited by its Z270 chipset which does not allow 8th gen processorshttps://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(chipsets)/Z270.html.

HP's specs got it right, at least here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05502869:

NonSequitur777_0-1691622845932.png

The fastest HP OMEN by HP Desktop PC 880-0xx I could find online was this User: HP OMEN by HP Desktop PC 880-0xx Performance Results - UserBenchmark.

Therefore, given the original OMEN by HP 880-029 specs, it turns out the @old_geekster was right the first time.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

@dr_forgets_alot,

If, however, your desktop is fitted with the Tampa2 motherboard (SSID: 8437), then with its Z370 chipset, you can indeed fit an i7-8700K processor: HP Desktop PCs - motherboard specifications, Tampa2 | HP® Customer Support, and here: CPU-Upgrade: Intel Z370 chipset processor support.

Look at "BaseBoard Product" as can be found in your System Information to confirm SSID: 8437.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

How do I know which tampa motherboard I have?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.