Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I have an HP Pavillion a6332f desktop PC.

In Windows, I changed the drive letter of the DVD player from  "F"  to  "Z" , and now when I reboot the PC, it gets hung-up at the blue "HP invent" screen.  This screen has the instructions for entering the "Boot Menu", "Setup", and "System Recovery" by pressing the "Esc", "F10", aor "F11" key.  It just sits there forever. 

If I try to enter the "Boot Menu"by pressing the "Esc" key, I get a message "Loading Boot Menu.....", but then it just hangs there forever.  If I try to enter the  "Setup Menu" I get a similar result - it says "Entering Setup...", and just hangs there.  Pressing the "F11" key doesn't seem to do anything.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks,

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Spawn1155 wrote: I have a similar problem, have a HP pavillion a1101n will boot up just fine, but after running for awhile, if for any reason I shut down ( not restarting) the pc, it will freeze on the hp screen for about 10 minutes and then shut off on its own. If I wait for about an hour and a half, it will boot up just fine. Restarting does not cause this to happen, it only happens when the pc is powered down and you try to power back on before an hour and a half.

Hello Spawn1155, The issue you describe appears to be more of a heat related issue than anything else.

I checked the specifications for you system, that can be found  Here , and it shows the system was released in May, 2005.

This indicates it is a little older system and very well could have a fair amount of dust/dirt buildup in the case.

I would disconnect the power cord, remove the side panel, and clean the dust/dirt from the inside of the case, paying particular attention to the processor heatsinh/fan assembly. You may want to acquire some canned compressed air to clean the processor heatsink/fan assembly.

After you clean the system, try it for a while and see if that resolved the issue. If it did not, you may need to restore the software on the system, due to possible corruption. While I don't believe the syytem has a software corruption issue, it always performs better with a fresh installation of the software after several years of use, if this has not already been done.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

Hello DanD-1, I'm not sure why just changing a DVD drive letter would cause the issue you describe. Can you advise why you need or wanted to change the DVD drive letter?

You may try resetting the BIOS and see if this will resolve the boot issue.

Here  is a link that has some information on how to reset the BIOS. Look for this information in the Clearing the BIOS section at the bottom of the sections.

HP Recommended
I have a similar problem, have a HP pavillion a1101n will boot up just fine, but after running for awhile, if for any reason I shut down( not restarting) the pc, it will freeze on the hp screen for about 10 minutes and then shut off on its own. If I wait for about an hour and a half, it will boot up just fine. Restarting does not cause this to happen, it only happens when the pc is powered down and you try to power back on befor an hour and a half.
HP Recommended

Spawn1155 wrote: I have a similar problem, have a HP pavillion a1101n will boot up just fine, but after running for awhile, if for any reason I shut down ( not restarting) the pc, it will freeze on the hp screen for about 10 minutes and then shut off on its own. If I wait for about an hour and a half, it will boot up just fine. Restarting does not cause this to happen, it only happens when the pc is powered down and you try to power back on before an hour and a half.

Hello Spawn1155, The issue you describe appears to be more of a heat related issue than anything else.

I checked the specifications for you system, that can be found  Here , and it shows the system was released in May, 2005.

This indicates it is a little older system and very well could have a fair amount of dust/dirt buildup in the case.

I would disconnect the power cord, remove the side panel, and clean the dust/dirt from the inside of the case, paying particular attention to the processor heatsinh/fan assembly. You may want to acquire some canned compressed air to clean the processor heatsink/fan assembly.

After you clean the system, try it for a while and see if that resolved the issue. If it did not, you may need to restore the software on the system, due to possible corruption. While I don't believe the syytem has a software corruption issue, it always performs better with a fresh installation of the software after several years of use, if this has not already been done.

HP Recommended

Hi Hanspuppa,

I just got home from work and read your suggestion and looked-up how to reset the BIOS (although I was a little confused by the instructions because it looked like it was saying that it was resetting the Real-Time Clock's NonVolatile Memory s opposed to resetting the BIOS) and I was getting ready to try that when I decided to first power up my PC to see what happened, and it booted!    I read the next post so I tried Restarting my PC and Shutting it down and then powering it back up and both worked!  So I don't know what was going on (gremlins perhaps), but I hope it is fixed.

Thank you for your help.  Just knowing that you might have a possible solution to my problem was a big help, so I will definitely give you Kudos for that.

And the reason that I changed the Drive Letter of the DVD player is that I am trying to reformat some Thumb/Flash Drives, but I was having problems with that, and someone who has done that with these drives told me that it could be because they PC was assigning them a high drive letter and that sometimes the special formatting software didn't like that, and that the fix was to free-up a low drive letter.

DanD

HP Recommended

Hi Spawn,

My PC has decided to start working again (I hope!).  I read your post so I tried Restarting my PC and Shutting it down and then powering it back up and both worked!  So I don't know what was going on (gremlins perhaps), but I hope it is fixed.  Thanks for your help, and good luck with your machine.

DanD

HP Recommended
Thanx hanspuppa, when I opened it, I did find considerable amounts of dust buildup. The compressed air cans worked fine except on the heatsink fan assembly. Between the fan and heatsink itself the dust was caked up like dirtclods. Had to use an air compresser ( very carefully) to dislodge the clods. Since then this problem seems to be resolved. Cant beleive the solution was that simple. Im overjoyed thank you so much!!
HP Recommended

no this does not help me one bit it is genweric  answers that do not work and then you lead the person to a  "it guy" who gives more answers that dont help so your out of money and your com,puter still wont run

{Content Removed}

HP Recommended

I already cleaned the inside of the tower which wasn't very dusty since it's blown out several times a year. I ran all the tests possible, and reinstalled the OS (System Recovery  3 times)  using both 😧 drive and the DVDs made when the PC was new. The problem persists.  The tests found nothing.  It hangs in that Blue screen and will sit there forever.  If I reboot and tap the F8 key it will sometimes bring up a black screen where  I can do a Reapir, which fixes nothing, or Start Normally. About 50% of the time it will then load the OS and the PC is usable - until the next reboot or shut down.   What can be causing this?  It's a Vista 32-bit and until the day the OS failed to load, gave me no problems at all.

HP Recommended

RV-Kitty,

I understand when you try and boot you are stuck at the HP invent screen, is that correct? I will try to assist you with this issue.

The first thing I would like to get from you is the full make and model of the computer you are using. If you are unsure how to locate that information, have a look at this document for further assistance.

If I have been helpful or if you would like to say thank you for me trying to help, click the white star under my name to give me Kudos. I really appreciate it.

Please respond when you get a chance.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.