Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I recently installed a new motherboard for my desktop Presario Windows 7 64-bit. The same model motherboard that I had already.

The first few times I booted my computer there were not any problems. My drivers automatically installed and everything seemed to be as good as it was before my motherboard died.

However, after I restarted my computer the third time, I got a message on the bottom-right of my desktop screen that said I need to authenticate my version of Windows. I put in my Product Key from the side of my tower and everything was fine again. The message was cleared.

The next time I booted my computer I got the same message that I needed to put in my Product Key. I did the same steps as before and got the same Validation message. I restarted my computer to see if this would be a problem again, but my computer never booted to Windows. I was stuck on the loading Windows screen.

I did the diagnostic tests that are shown before Windows starts, but it didn't fix my problem. I am able to boot in Safe Mode though. I did a few virus and computer diagnostic scans, but nothing fixed my problem. I searched online for how to enter the Product Key and came up with a few options. There were no options to add the Product Key with the fix going through Control Panel, System, and then clicking on a button or link on the bottom of the page. There was no link nor button to click on that I saw on images online. I also tried the CDM.exe trick where I put in my Product Key, unless I did it wrong.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, The license activation key, if it is from the original motherboard, is linked to that one and cannot be transferred to another unless HP's proprietary utility is used in the BIOS.

If you use your own seperately license activation key there shouldn't be a problem.

I am a volunteer forum member. If my suggestion solved your issue, help others by not' forgetting to mark that post as the accepted solution. Say thanks by clicking on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, The license activation key, if it is from the original motherboard, is linked to that one and cannot be transferred to another unless HP's proprietary utility is used in the BIOS.

If you use your own seperately license activation key there shouldn't be a problem.

I am a volunteer forum member. If my suggestion solved your issue, help others by not' forgetting to mark that post as the accepted solution. Say thanks by clicking on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

> I restarted my computer to see if this would be a problem again,

> but my computer never booted to Windows.

> I was stuck on the loading Windows screen.

You may have some other problem -- not related to the activation of Windows -- because it will not boot.

Physically remove the disk-drive, and connect it as a secondary disk-drive in some other computer.

Enter the command:   CHKDSK  (drive-letter):   /R

to non-destructively check all the sectors on the disk-drive for being in good condition.

Tell us the results.

I wonder if you have a bad disk-drive, implying that the original motherboard was not the problem, and did not need to be replaced.

HP Recommended

I installed a new version of Windows 7, and everything seems to be working to an extent.

I copied a lot of the same programs from my previous version but not all of them work. Even when I uninstalled and then re-installed, some programs still do not work. So it is a work in progress.

Thanks for the help and getting me on the right track.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.