Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 27xi Pavilion 9180
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought 4 of these Pavilion 27xi for two work stations from Costco and am thinking I need to return them.  I am now experiencing a problem with one where after start up there is a 4" x 4" area where the montior is just blacked out. When I restart sometimes it will go away. It may take several restarts to do this. I have also just turned the monitor off and on a few times and then it will go away. These are all bought about the same time so I am thinking thet are all going to start dying on me like this? 

I read thru the forums and someone posted that HP is not actually supporting win 10 with the drivers.

I also had this problem with the monitor with win 7 pro before I  recently upgraded for free, hoping the win 10 would resolve the issue. If it were the OS then all four of these monitors would be having issues. 

I also did a factory reset and that didn't help.

After migrating to win 10, now all the task bar icons show up on both monitors for each work station which is better.  I checked and have the updated drivers for the monitors. When I searched HP site for resolutions it just said to restart your machine but didn't offer anything beyond that. 

The funny thing of it is when the computer starts and restarts it will show the monitor lit up appropriately and then it will just then default to the blacked out area. It is like it is capable but something makes it just default with blacked out area. Then after a few off and ons the blacked out area will go away. It is like it needs to warm up or something.  I spent a lot of money on these monitors and assumed they would last longer than about 2 yrs. 

There is no option to select monitors for product issue here and no other issues that work for this. Please move this to better location if there is one. Not evident from here where that would be. 

I would upload a picture of it but I don't see a way to do that here.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Trillium,

Thanks for becoming a member of the HP Support Forums. I understand you are having an issue with the monitor showing a black square. I will be glad to help you.

Please look at the documents for HP Flat Panel LCD Monitors - Monitor is Blank.

With monitors, there is very little for troubleshooting. make sure plugged into wall and power cycle. Check the cables are connected correctly.

As for the computer, if it is  the HP Pavilion Elite e9180t Desktop, all drivers for Windows 10 is coming from Microsoft or the Manufacture of the components. eg video card Radeon or GeForce.

Please keep me informed of how things went. 

If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help you.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".
To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below! 🙂

Thanks.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Trillium,

Thanks for becoming a member of the HP Support Forums. I understand you are having an issue with the monitor showing a black square. I will be glad to help you.

Please look at the documents for HP Flat Panel LCD Monitors - Monitor is Blank.

With monitors, there is very little for troubleshooting. make sure plugged into wall and power cycle. Check the cables are connected correctly.

As for the computer, if it is  the HP Pavilion Elite e9180t Desktop, all drivers for Windows 10 is coming from Microsoft or the Manufacture of the components. eg video card Radeon or GeForce.

Please keep me informed of how things went. 

If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help you.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".
To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below! 🙂

Thanks.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi Tardis,

Today for some reason I noticed the blacked out area is not happening. This is surprising since it was pretty consistant for weeks with both win 7 pro and now with win 10. I have no idea what happened. I did not myself upload any new drivers or check cables or do anything. I wish I could identify the fix and ultimately the cause but can't at this point. I am cautiously optomistic that maybe some automatic update fixed this? Need to give it more time to see if this is going to last. 

I know my 9180t runs hot and others have complained about this. I recall looking inside when I first bought it and thinking it is pretty crammed not much room for adding anything and not room for air circulation either.  I now leave the side door off of it to let it cool off this way. I don't think the heat from the computer caused this since the problem would happen right after start up. There have been major problems with this motherboard and had to have a replacement soon after purchase with HP. The term inherently defective and big problems were key terms linked to this model, a quick search will pull this up.

I checked the link you gave me regarding the cables but I don't think it was that since you could see the monitor looking fine at start up for a second or two or more then boing it defaulted to a shadded out area. It was like it had the capabilities and then stopped having them and it seemed like maybe a software related issue since so many things are running at start up. 

I am going to hold off from saying it is fixed quite yet since not much time to prove it out. But will once it is clear the issue is not happening anymore I intend to. Thanks for responding.

HP Recommended

It has been days and no problems with the monitor now and have no idea what automated update may have fixed the issue. But I will say the issue is solved. Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.