Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion 27
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, reset my computer back to a previous stored version after latest windows upate caused my printer to not work because it was not USB3.0 compatible. Yada, yada on that piece...it did not reset properly and now I'm down to a blue screen with a "system32\winload.efi" error "0xc0000225". Says that it can not find that file to start up Windows. Suggestions??

Also...I am 2 hours away from the nearest Best Buy where I purchased, so prefer to fix at home if possible. I of course have many files and pictures I would like to have saved...is this possible now? I considered ordering a recovery disc for it from HP here on the site, but unsure if that will fix it? (I'm on my old HP laptop right now, as the desktop...well...will not even let me into safe mode. Insists it wants that file. HELP???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you order a recovery disk, it will reformat the hard drive, and you won't be able to recover any data.

You do have a couple of options if you want to try and recover your files.

Using your laptop, make a W10 installation flash drive or DVD with the media creation tool at the link below.

You will need an 8 GB flash drive for the bootable flash drive option.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Boot from the flash drive or DVD.

When you get to the Install Now screen, there will be a 'Repair your computer' option on the lower left side of the screen.

1.  You can try to repair the error that is causing the PC not to boot up.

Probably the best fix that is not listed would be to use the command prompt option to repair the boot structure.

https://windowshelper.co/fixboot-repair-bootrec-windows-10/

If that fails to work, go to plan B...

2.  Use the media creation tool to reinstall W10.

Now this is important...if you want to save your files, do not delete any partitions or format the hard drive.

When you get to the part that asks 'where do you want to install windows,' let it install over the current windows installation, and it will create a Windows.old folder.

After W10 has finished installing, you can explore the Windows.old folder, find your old user profile and copy and paste all of the files and folders you want to the new installation or a portable hard drive.

Once you are sure you have everything you need, you can delete the windows.old folder using the disk cleanup utility.

You can install the drivers and available software from your PC's support page.

If you are not happy with the clean installation, you can order the recovery media from HP, but at least you will now have your files saved on a portable hard drive.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you order a recovery disk, it will reformat the hard drive, and you won't be able to recover any data.

You do have a couple of options if you want to try and recover your files.

Using your laptop, make a W10 installation flash drive or DVD with the media creation tool at the link below.

You will need an 8 GB flash drive for the bootable flash drive option.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Boot from the flash drive or DVD.

When you get to the Install Now screen, there will be a 'Repair your computer' option on the lower left side of the screen.

1.  You can try to repair the error that is causing the PC not to boot up.

Probably the best fix that is not listed would be to use the command prompt option to repair the boot structure.

https://windowshelper.co/fixboot-repair-bootrec-windows-10/

If that fails to work, go to plan B...

2.  Use the media creation tool to reinstall W10.

Now this is important...if you want to save your files, do not delete any partitions or format the hard drive.

When you get to the part that asks 'where do you want to install windows,' let it install over the current windows installation, and it will create a Windows.old folder.

After W10 has finished installing, you can explore the Windows.old folder, find your old user profile and copy and paste all of the files and folders you want to the new installation or a portable hard drive.

Once you are sure you have everything you need, you can delete the windows.old folder using the disk cleanup utility.

You can install the drivers and available software from your PC's support page.

If you are not happy with the clean installation, you can order the recovery media from HP, but at least you will now have your files saved on a portable hard drive.

HP Recommended

Paul,

Firstly...a HUGE THANK YOU!! You definitely saved me so much time and money, as was able to walk through these one by one and try each. Very simple!!  I stepped through each suggestion and my computer really really tried each step of the way, but could not recover until I tried step#2 under the link you sent "https://windowshelper.co/fixboot-repair-bootrec-windows-10/". 

At that point, I went back and downloaded "Windows 10 ISO" and "Rufus" as instructed. I struggled a bit because I didn't catch the "ISO" part and had downloaded the other "flash drive" option (again). Rufus wouldn't accept that file as it needed the .iso file, hope that makes sense. (Including this in case someone else attempts same repair and fails to pay attention to that detail as I did lol.) But as soon as I followed the instructions, it worked like a charm! Held my breath for what seemed like eternity waiting to see if my files actually were saved under "windows.old" and YES!!...they were all there...every single picture and file!! Nothing was lost. 

Of course I had to reinstall things such as Office and Adobe software and my apps, but that was just easy and a relief after I seen my pictures and files were safe!!

Can't thank you enough...this really truly saved the day...week...month...year!! 😄 So happy!!

Julie

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Julie.

Glad to have been of assistance, and very happy to read that you were able to recover your files and get your PC back up and running again.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.