Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop PC TG01-1000a (2W847AV)

Ok, I'm going insane whilst writing this, this has been going on for the past 5 months and I still have no reason why this is happening.

I have a HP Pavillion pre-built desktop, which I upgraded to 16gb ram and SSD.

Problem is, mostly when gaming around 20 minutes in or sometimes even instantly I will recieve a BSOD, usually thats fine and caused by a driver or something, but it seems like I'm getting new BSODs most of the time. Sometimes I even get BSODs when using just normal desktop applications.

Product specs (note I upgraded ram to 16gb and to a SSD all from Crucial): https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/product-specs/hp-pavilion-gaming-desktop-pc-tg01-1000a/model/21...

Win 11 dumps: https://files.catbox.moe/f23y3i.zip

Win 10 dumps (OS i'm on currently): https://files.catbox.moe/eul3yx.zip

Here are the symtoms:

Sometimes It doesn't BSOD me, my system will just restart; screen will go black and my computer will reboot, most of the time I get a BSOD Message though.

At first I thought it may of been a RAM issue, all my minidumps pointed towards it, but I ran memtest86 twice full test and no errors was picked up.

I then thought it may of been a CPU temp issue or overheating, and I measured during peak gaming around 80 degrees, which should be fine for my CPU.

Also some important things to note:

- When reinstalling windows I noticed it would crash during the install process on the installer in the "Installing features", it took a couple of tried to install windows

- When I enable the memory integrity settings my windows crashes when booting up and freezes.

Here are things I've tried:

- Resetting Windows normally

- Reinstalling Windows 11 via USB

- Reinstalling Windows 10 via USB

- Memtest 86 passed twice, and used the microsoft memory test

- Reinstalling GPU drivers with DDU

- Installing new chipset drivers

- Replacing peripherals to see if it was one of my USB devices

Nothing has worked, if someone could try and help me it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi @Glatticz 

Welcome to the HP Forum.

You have taken very good troubleshooting steps to isolate the problem. You also have an intermittent problem, which is very tough to diagnose.

TG01-1000a (2W847AV) is a generic product number. There are close to a 100 different PCs in this product line. Your MB seems to be, per HP, the Erica3 MB at this Link. Is this correct?

Please provide a specific HP Product Number or list the CPU, Graphics card, and power supply.

I did not see you going back to the HP RAM as one of your troubleshooting steps. I would do this to test stability. Did you use the Crucial Scanner when purchasing the new memory?

Did you upgrade any other components? I would go back to the factory configuration. Test stability. Then replace one component at a time and check stability.

Can you recall the blue screen error messages? Did you see the same error each time or were you seeing different error messages when the PC blue screened?

At this point it is tough to zero in on the bad component. A failing system drive can also cause weird stuff. The power supply or the integrated memory controller on the CPU could be misbehaving. The MB could have an intermittent fault. Any component connected to the MB or any peripheral connected to the PC could be causing this problem.

Check all of your PC's hardware using HP Diagnostics as follows:

Start the PC. Repeatedly tap the "ESC" key.

Select "F2". Run system and component tests to confirm: a drive problem, a memory problem, or other component problem. Run extensive tests.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi! I seriously appreciate the response.

For the Crucial products I used the scanner, and I don't think it would be any of them would be the fault, I don't have my old HP memory sticks anymore sadly.

My devices serial number and product code is:

Product number: 348P8EA#ABU

Serial number: 4CE1050FF9

I only added a SSD Drive in the M.2 slot and replaced 8gb of ram with 16gb.

With the blue screen scenario, it's very strange, I see quite a few different errors that pop up. 

Here are the links to the dump files produced by the blue screen: 

(Windows 10 BSOD Dumps):  https://files.catbox.moe/f23y3i.zip
(Windows 11 BSOD Dumps): https://files.catbox.moe/eul3yx.zip

Sometimes it doesn't even create a crash dump and the computer will just restart (screen will go black and restart).

I'm not sure if this is a software or hardware issue, of course I have reinstalled windows around 3 times now and still gotten crashes, but maybe a faulty driver? I'm not sure. My computer isn't slow following my upgrades, it just crashes wierdly.

I have just now ran the Dystem diagnostgic check and it seems everything pasted. I didn't bother with the keboard test as I didn't think it wasnt necessary to this situation.

One thing I saw though was that in the drive check it said Warning or something. attached is the test result.

20240514_180737 (1).jpg

HP Recommended

Hi @Glatticz 

A short DST warning on the system drive is not good.

Run a Check Disk on the system drive. A Check Disk may tell you if the system drive needs replacing.

Also check System Files:

Open an Admin command prompt as follows:

Open Search then enter "command prompt". Right-click on the search result.

Select "Run as Administrator".

Enter the following commands, one at a time. Wait for each command to complete before running the next command.

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth note: the PC must be connected to the network when using the DISM command).

Enter the next command to verify system files are okay.

sfc /scannow

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks for your follow up.

I ran the check disk and it stated that there was no errors.

I also ran the DISM command and SFC / scannow

SFC scan didn't find any issues.

DISM stated "operations was successful

I suspect that Windows isn't the problem, as I reinstalled Windows with the media creation tool 3 times, but saying that it could be a problem with a driver? but I don't think so as my computer was running ok before, and none of my crash dumps point to a driver, and only memory corruption, which I've ran every scan possible and no issues found.

I'm thinking of updating the BIOS, but not sure if it's worth the risk as if my computer is faulty and my computer turns off / reboots then my motherboard BIOS would be bricked.

HP Recommended

Also forgot to mention that I am still experience crashes after the steps stated)

HP Recommended

Hi @Glatticz 

My pleasure.

I was not saying it is a driver problem. I was thinking it could be a drive problem.

It does not appear to be a drive problem since SFC and Check Disk revealed no problems.

I think you may have a power supply problem, a possible graphics card problem, or a MB/CPU problem since it looks like: the memory and system drive seem to be okay. But you never did test other, known good, compatible memory; you don't have the HP factory memory.

Try using onboard graphics since the TG01-1039na has a 4300G CPU and the MB has a rear HDMI port.

I agree, I would not try a BIOS update if the PC is unstable.

Maybe try one stick of RAM in each memory slot. Run the PC through its paces with one stick of RAM to see how it goes. Maybe one stick of memory is flaky. And the error is not being detected when you run memory tests when both sticks of RAM are installed in the MB.

Check the MB for anything unusual such as bulging capacitors or leaky capacitors. Check and reseat all wiring connections and component connections to the MB.

I don't think you are having a power button problem but nothing is off the table at this point. Your PCs power button is integrated into the MB. So that would be a MB problem.

You might try removing the WIFI card. Then test the PC.

Regards

HP Recommended

I think it could be a PSU issue, since sometimes not minidumps are produced when my computer restarts from heavy usage gaming, sometimes when exporting footage on premiere pro. How would I go about testing this?

Also it seems my Integrated graphics port is blocked off, I know why this is to stop consumers using the integrated, but how can I remove it? Also when I upgraded to a M.2 SSD I never removed my old hard drive, I might install windows on it and dual boot it to see if it could be a drive issue.

Also Memtest86 should of tested both sticks, but it could be a good idea to run memtest86 with one ram stick in, and also try it on windows if its reproducable, I will try that.

Yet again thank you for your response, seriously helpful.

HP Recommended

Hi @Glatticz 

My pleasure.

You would have to try a different, known good, power supply, to eliminate the current power supply as the cause of this problem. The following power supplies, available at eBay, will work with your case and MB:

310 watt - L03980-800,

400 watt - L04618-800,

500 watt - L05757-800.

I would also disconnect the old drive. You want to run the PC in a minimum config when looking for a faulty component.

It looks like you are at the point where you have to swap in different, known good, components to find the bad part: power supply, graphics, RAM, CPU, MB. It may be better to have a local PC Tech take a look if you have to swap in all of the above components. It would be less expensive.

You should be able to remove the covering on the HDMI port so you can try onboard graphics. Do you have a Ryzen "G" CPU?  Remove the discrete graphics card then try onboard video if you can access the onboard HDMI port.

Finding the faulty component is a process of elimination.

Regards

HP Recommended

Yeah, I think it may be better to just have a repair technician look at it.

I know rates are different and such but how much do you think it would cost for someone to look at it? just so I wont get ripped off lol

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.