Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 750-247c
Other

I just purchased an Envy 750-247c with Win10. Not liking that OS, I attempted to remove it, couldn't, so I wiped the drive including partitions, recovery, everything. I then formatted it to the Win7 spec, no partitions, one 2T HDD, which i made HD0, and one 128G HD1, they both have been wiped and reformatted. I changed the boot sequence to boot to the CD first, enabled legacy devices. I understood that installing a new OS would reinstall a boot sectore, etc.

With a newly purchased Win7 Pro disc, the machine will boot to the CD, open the language, time and currency format, keyboard menue, but i have no keyboard of mouse to make a selection to continue the install. Mouse and KB are USB devices and ports are all enabled.

I have tried everything I know to get this thing up and running, I'm relatively computer savvy having started many years ato with a Commodore 64 and tons of computer repair and configuration in the past. This thing has me baffled and I need to get it going.

Thanks for the support!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Normally the plastic piece in the middle of the port is blue, in comparison to the other USB ports, and those marked with SS are going to USB 3.0.

The SS is supposed to indicate high (super) speed. A port with a lightning bolt in the symbol is going to be a high power USB port, appropriate for charging devices via USB.

I hope that helps.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

BTW, the keyboard and mouse work when editing the bios parameters and partition software, just not when working off the install screen with the new Win7 disc. I have removed all other usb devices, removed and reinstalled the cmos battery.

Is there a bios setting that will make this work perhaps? It's as if the KB and mouse drivers aren't being installed at startup.

BIOS appears to be Revision THI vA0.08, date 11/12/2015,

HP Recommended

Hello @HPEnvyGuy,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts and other support personnel. I understand that you are downgrading to Windows 7 Pro from Windows 10, and the keyboard and mouse are not working during the installation. I am happy to help with this.

Some suggestions, make sure your your USB keyboard and mouse are using USB 2.0 ports instead of USB 3.0.  Also during the set up process you could try disconnecting the keyboard and mouse and switch them to different USB 2.0 ports, and see if they are detected.

I also found this post on Superuser, that has several suggestions that the users there reported worked for them. Windows installation media cant detect keyboard and mouse - Superuser.com

I would be curious to know which if any of those possible fixes works for you.

Hope to hear from you soon, and if any of that it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.  

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

How do I determine which usb ports are 2 or 3? This cpu has a total of 10, several are marked with sort of an ss before the usb logo, one has an ss, the logo then a lightening bolt.

HP Recommended

Normally the plastic piece in the middle of the port is blue, in comparison to the other USB ports, and those marked with SS are going to USB 3.0.

The SS is supposed to indicate high (super) speed. A port with a lightning bolt in the symbol is going to be a high power USB port, appropriate for charging devices via USB.

I hope that helps.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I do not have an Except as Solution box in any of my posts.

Edit: I do now......

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.