Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
d5200t (NE504AV-ABA)
Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit)
My HP d5200t (NE504AV-ABA) computer has startup problems.

Whenever I try to restart it from a shutdown, it does not ask whether to restart
Windows in Safe mode, and always starts it in some variety of Safe mode that blocks
use of the Ethernet port or any other networking device. This safe mode also blocks
use of the 64-bit Windows Installer service, so I cannot install any program I
expect to help this. How can I make it resume booting Windows in normal mode, without losing the
various files I have accumulated over the years? It's my last computer running 64-bit Windows Vista SP2, and has a program I need
that will not run on more recent versions of Windows. No installation package for
this program is available. All of my last 100 or so backups for it are stored on an HP disk server that will
no longer boot, so these backups are EXTREMELY difficult to reach.

This site does not allow copy and paste, so I had to insert the text file I had prepared as if it was code.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It did not work - the safe mode box was not checked.  What finally fixed MOST of this problem was telling the boot procedure to use the last known good configuation.  It then took about four Windows restarts, and correcting the system time, to finish the fix.

During the problem, the computer was often not quite in safe mode, only confused about whether it was in safe mode or not.  "Safe Mode" did not appear in the corners of the screen, but trying to install software gave error messages saying the installation could not be completed in safe mode.  Internet connections were usually blocked.  Switching to the alternate shell made cmd.exe the only way to tell the computer what to do, and if there was any way to switch back to the GUI, it was well hidden.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi there @milesrf,

Welcome back to the HP Support Forums!  I understand that your computer is always starting in Safe Mode. I am happy to assist you with this.

From Safe Mode, run msconfig.exe.

When the utility comes up, click on the boot tab along the top.

Under boot options remove the check in the box for Safe mode then Click Apply

Restart your system and it should start normally.

Please let me know whether that works for you, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.  

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

It did not work - the safe mode box was not checked.  What finally fixed MOST of this problem was telling the boot procedure to use the last known good configuation.  It then took about four Windows restarts, and correcting the system time, to finish the fix.

During the problem, the computer was often not quite in safe mode, only confused about whether it was in safe mode or not.  "Safe Mode" did not appear in the corners of the screen, but trying to install software gave error messages saying the installation could not be completed in safe mode.  Internet connections were usually blocked.  Switching to the alternate shell made cmd.exe the only way to tell the computer what to do, and if there was any way to switch back to the GUI, it was well hidden.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.