Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I upgraded my bios yesterday on a HP pavillion p7-1154.  Halfway through the bios update windows told me the file was corrupt and stopped installation.  The computer ran fine for the rest of the day.  This morning the computer wont boot.  The keyboard doesn't light up nor does the screen.  The blue light is on and I can hear the hard drive running.  When I remove the battery from motherboard for a few minutes I get a screen that shows the bios version 7.16(the corrupted one that didn't install correctly) and a keyboard error.  I am running windows 7 home premium 64 bit.  The reason for the bios update was the HP tech on the phone told me I needed to update it so my computer would recognize a parallel port pci-e card.  This is the second time this has happened after the bios update.  The first time the tech told me I had a bad motherboard and I had to pay to have someone install a new one at my location.  Now it is two weeks later and another tech told me to do the bios update and same problem all over again.  is there a way for me to flash the bios with the older version myself, I have access to a floppy, burnable cd drive and a usb drive that I think wont work because none of the usb port are working.  The PCI-e card is needed due to a parallel port key for a program.  I don't feel like sending my computer in or waiting two weeks for someone to come here to install a new board that I can install myslef but if that is the only solution then be it.  The cd drive will also spin and light up.

motherboard is AAHD3-HB REV 1.02

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Hello lschwark24,

When updating the BIOS it overwrites the current version with the new version and is not reversable unless you had made a backup of the previous version.

If you happen to know what the previous version was, and have access to it you may be able to install it over the new one, but it does require having a BIOS flash utility and the previous version of the BIOS.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
HP Recommended

I have done the same thing. I am in the process of trying to rebuild a P7-1154. The original owner gave up after having gone through multiple power supplies (due to bad power at her house; she's had more than her share of electronics trouble.) We pulled the original hard drive and RAM out and put them in her other computer. I put a new hard drive, RAM, and a beefed-up PSU in and installed a fresh copy of Win 7 Home Premium.

All was well until I went to update all the drivers. I got all the driver update downloads from the HP Support site, put them on a flash drive and took them to my new computer. While installing, Windows reported that the BIOS update was corrupt, and when I restarted the computer...nothing. No display, nothing. The front panel lights up, but all attempts to get into BIOS have failed.

Even if I had a previous version of BIOS available (same mobo/chipset as the OP), how would I get to it to fix it?

HP Recommended

Hello pinkelephant201,

Even though you can't see anything the computer may still be responding and you still may be able to get into the BIOS. If we can still get into the BIOS then we can try resetting it to see if it allows the computer to properly boot.

The only problem is trying to figure out what version of the BIOS you are running. There are two sets of instructions one for Version 7 and greater and one for Version 6 or lower. I'll include both. They both can also be found on this support article Monitor or TV is Blank after Starting the Computer

Reset BIOS Version 7 or greater
  1. Turn on the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key for eight seconds.
  2. Press the Down arrow three times.
  3. Press the Enter key two times.
  4. Restart the computer.
Reset BIOS Version 6 or less
  1. Turn on the computer and repeatedly press one of the following keyboard keys. Press the key about once every second for 5 seconds after turning the computer on.
  2. For HP and Compaq computers that came with Windows 7 or Windows Vista, press F10 .
  3. For HP and Compaq computers that came with Windows XP, press F1 .
  4. For Compaq Presario desktop computers built prior to 2002, press F10 .
  5. Wait another 5 seconds.
  6. Press the F5 key. This restores the default settings of the BIOS.
  7. Press the Enter key. This accepts the changes.
  8. Press the F10 key. This saves the changes

Post back your results after you have attempted to reset the BIOS.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
HP Recommended

I'm in the same boat as the original poster. Moving the CMOS reset jumpers and then restarting brings up a text screen that shows BIOS revision 7.16 (the update that failed) and a keyboard error. Before that screen, you briefly see "Press ESC for Startup menu", and then the second screen shows "Press F1 to boot." The only problem is that the keyboard doesn't work because the keyboard and mouse are both USB, and the USB support is part of the borked BIOS.

I tried the BIOS reset helps that were listed. Unfortunately, with the keyboard not responding, nothing will happen.

HP Recommended

hello pinkelephant201,

If you are plugging the keyboard into the back usb ports, try the front ports. The front usb ports and back ports work off different drivers. It's possible for one to work and the other to fail.

- Friendship is magical.
HP Recommended

Front USB ports don't (apparently) respond. I was reading other support forums, and it seems that on some HP models pressing and holding the Win key plus the B key during startup would trigger flash codes on the keyboard. Haven't yet tried this, as there's no indication whether that's accurate for the P7-1154.

HP Recommended

Is there a list somewhere of what HP models use the AAHD3-HB motherboard? I'm considering finding a parts unit and doing a mobo swap. The rest of the case doesn't really matter; the mobo just needs to match.

HP Recommended

I have a Pegatron Benicia motherboard that had American Megatrends Bios Version 5.33 dated 11/72008.  I overwrote it installing what I thought was an updated bios but I now believe that bios was for an IDLDB (or something similar) motherboard.  The bios I am now running is American Megatrends Bios Version 5.43 dated 9/10/2009.  My computer seems to be working and rebooted after installing, but how can I find my old version and reinstall it? 

HP Recommended
Hello obstacle,

You can look up your computer make / model on the HP Customer Care portal and look at what is available for download, there may be a BIOS version available. What is listed on this site is what HP provides though, so if it's not listed then HP has not provided a downloadable version of the BIOS.
http://goo.gl/pZz0J
- Friendship is magical.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.