Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Envy 700-216
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need to run dual monitors on this computer. I purchased an EVGA GEFORCE GT 610 video card with dual DVI outputs. The card specifications say the PC power supply needs to be 300 watts, and have 16 amps of +12 V available, which the power supply in the Envy 700-216 meets.

Plugging the card in results in no booting, no video out of either the card or the on-board video, and 8 beeps.

Don't know if the card is just not compatible, or the card is defective, or the PC has a problem. Is there anything I can check to narrow down the problem?

Thanks,

audioconsultant

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

When you install a non-HP video card on any HP PC that came with Windows 8 or newer from the factory, you need to change two BIOS settings before adding your new video card.

Please see this link for what settings to change...you will need to remove the video card if you have not done so already to change the settings.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03653200/

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hi:

When you install a non-HP video card on any HP PC that came with Windows 8 or newer from the factory, you need to change two BIOS settings before adding your new video card.

Please see this link for what settings to change...you will need to remove the video card if you have not done so already to change the settings.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03653200/

HP Recommended

Thanks for the link. Changing those settings solved the problem. I should note that Step 8 (Figure 5) did not happen, so I could not do Step 10.

Why is it that HP does not put this info in the manual or make it searchable in the help system? Why should one have to ask a question on the Forum to get this answer? (I should note that answers to similar questions in the past made me suspect there were BIOS settings that needed to change, but all the links in older questions on this topic were no longer working.)

Thanks again for your assistance.

audioconsultant

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Since I do not work for or represent HP, unfortunately I cannot address any of your follow on questions.

I recommend you address your questions to the HP Executive Team at the link below.

https://ssl.www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/connect-with-hp.html

HP management should be made aware of your concerns--they maintain no official presence on this forum.

My understanding is that they will reply to folks that send feedback on that link.

HP Recommended

@Paul,

registered jsut to repsond to you. My brother has the same issue with getting a discrete card working on his 700-216. He gets the black screen and mobo beeping. I already had him disable secure boot in the uefi/bios. When I click on your link, it re-directs to a generic HP support page. What were you linking to? Or rather what other settings need to be changed in the MSI 7778 (jasmine) motherboard?

Thanks

EDIT: replied to a much older thread on accident. Meant to use this one.

HP Recommended

You need to disable secure boot, and then enable legacy boot. That worked for me.

audioconsultant

HP Recommended

Hi, @Mr_Flex :

If you enabled legacy mode and disabled secure boot and the video card still isn't working, unfortunately, I don't know what the issue could be.

There are no other BIOS settings that need to be changed.

If you installed a very new video card, the BIOS in the PC may be too old to handle it.

Installing video cards in PC's has become more complicated than in the past.

Used to be we checked to make sure the power supply could handle the card's wattage requirements, and that you got the right card for the video slot your PC has (PCIe x16, AGP, etc).

Now you have to add in this secure boot stuff, and whether or not the BIOS in the PC will work with the BIOS the video card has.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply Paul.

My brothers computer came with windows 10 pre-installed. An update from last night. Looks like there was a security setting that had the pci-express slot disabled. Even after enabling it, the screen was still bank/black. I did not tell him to change the boot mode to legacy. Won't that make the computer not boot into windows since it was installed with uefi? GPT vs mbr.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If the drive is 2 TB or less, it should boot with legacy mode enabled, even if the drive is formatted in GPT.

Drives greater than 2 TB have to be formatted in GPT in order to be a boot drive, and a UEFI BIOS is required as well.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info Paul. His SSD is under 2TB and should be ok. I'll let him know to change the setting. I hope to report back with good news.

EDIT: Got his main desktop (512GB ssd) and his HP mixed up. The Hp Envy comes with a 2TB hard drive.....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.