Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Looking for some help.

I recently purchased an HP Pavilion 500-314.  Specs are as follows:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04293928

The unit includes integrated Radeon R7 graphics, and comes with a 300w power supply

I purchased this unit in large part because it explicitly states that "Supports PCI Express x16 graphics cards".  I run a quad-monitor setup for my work, and have traditionally done this using an ATI Firepro 2450 card.

I have now tried three different external graphics cards, and can get none of them to work:

First attempt was with a VisionTec Radeon HD 5570 (item #900345).  This card supports quad monitor setup, and requires a minimum 250w power supply.  When I installed the card, the HP Pavilion repeatedly beeped a series of 4 or 5 (can't remember which) beeps, but refused to send an image to any video output (either onboard or the new card).

Next attempt was with an EVGA GeForce GT 610.  This is a dual monitor setup, and requires a minimum 300w power supply.  Got the same exact response as with the VisionTec (i.e. series of beeps...computer would not fire any monitors up).

So with both of these (new) cards, I basically gave up immediately as I couldn't even get into BIOS (b/c no monitors would work) to see what was going on.  My understanding is that the series of 4-5 beeps usually means that there is a graphics card issue, or that the card that has been added doesn't have sufficient power.  This is frustrating, as the HP Pavilion 500-314 supposedly has a 300w power supply, which is at least equal to the min required for each of these cards.

At this point, I pulled the ATI Firepro 2450 out of my old machine and tried it.  This card at least didn't cause the series of 4-5 beeps.  Windows booted.  However, once I log in, Windows tries to install the new (FirePro card) repeatedly, so the screen just flashes and flashes and flashes.  I then went into BIOS.  The BIOS indicates that the system is recognizing the card, and that the onboard video has been disabled.  However, there is still a signal coming out of the onboard video output (DVI), so it is not in fact actually disabled.  My sense is that Windows is trying to control two separate video cards (onboard + external), which is what is causing the problems.  I can disable the FirePro video card from w/in Windows (using Safe Mode), and leave the card installed, and things work fine.  However, as soon as I try and enable the card I get the endless cycle of flashing monitors again.

I have spent a couple of long sessions with HP tech support and they have been useless.  They claim that this isn't an HP issue since the onboard video works fine.  I find this response extremely frustrating.  I think this is an HP issue, since the BIOS doesn't seem to be properly disabling the onboard video.  Not to mention that the PC can't seem to interface properly with Windows 8 compatible PCI-E cards that explicitly claim to require less power than this unit has.

I am generally pretty computer savvy, but have reached my wits end on this one.  I would appreciate any help anybody could provide.  I have tried all kinds of combinations of variables (i.e. enabling onboard video, setting external card to primary, etc.) through BIOS, as well as combinations from w/in Windows disabling onboard video, but nothing seems to work.

VisionTek 900345 Radeon HD 5570 1GB DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Big_Dave,

Thanks so much for your quick reply.

The first time I spoke with HP Support, they had me disable secure boot.  Unfortunately my problems persisted (i.e. the cards wouldn't install properly).  However, after reading the link you provided I was inspired to try things one last time with a fresh start.  I uninstalled all drivers, removed all cards, re-engaged secure boot, rebooted, shut down, disabled secure boot, reinstalled the cards, and rebooted.  Lo and behold, this time the system accepted the GeForce GT 610 card.

Hard for me to express how thankful I am to you.  I've spent two weeks and countless hours trying to get this fixed.  Just wish that I'd found these forums sooner.

WallMonkey02

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the below HP recommended procedure.

Computer Does not Start After Installing a Video Card (Windows 😎

Your PC is still covered by warranty so you should contact HP Support.  There is a BIOS update posted for your PC but it doesn't say what problems are corrected.  HP Support may have additional information about the posted BIOS update.

HP's support number is 800-474-6836 or 800-HPINVENT or online here.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Have you tried another power supply? Perhaps the 300 watt PSU in the system isn't very good. I'm thinking about maybe purchasing this and adding a Radeon HD7770 but I don't want to bring it home and find out it won't take the card. I have a new PSU for it and everything, I just want it to work without any kinks. Had enough trouble with my last system.

HP Recommended

Big_Dave,

Thanks so much for your quick reply.

The first time I spoke with HP Support, they had me disable secure boot.  Unfortunately my problems persisted (i.e. the cards wouldn't install properly).  However, after reading the link you provided I was inspired to try things one last time with a fresh start.  I uninstalled all drivers, removed all cards, re-engaged secure boot, rebooted, shut down, disabled secure boot, reinstalled the cards, and rebooted.  Lo and behold, this time the system accepted the GeForce GT 610 card.

Hard for me to express how thankful I am to you.  I've spent two weeks and countless hours trying to get this fixed.  Just wish that I'd found these forums sooner.

WallMonkey02

HP Recommended

lordmonk3y,

Both the ATI Firepro 2450 (which never worked properly, but the system did recognize and was able to boot with when installed) and the GeForce GT 610 claim to draw right around 30w peak (closer to 20w average).  Both are considered to be relatively low-draw graphics cards, and neither is a standout performer.  My work requires a lot of available screen space, but not a lot of graphics horsepower.  I don't do any gaming.  For heavier hitting graphics cards you might want to consider a bigger power supply.  Based on most of what I looked at, 300w is the bare minimum for a lot of these cards, and many of them require a larger power supply.

For what it's worth, I looked at the specs listed on the side of the PS in the 500-314, and it actually claims peak power of 300w, but only 250w at higher operating temperatures.  It's kind of a catch-22, because if you're running a more powerful card it's sure to generate more heat inside the tower, thereby lowering the available power from the PS.

I did notice that there's one other nice thing about using an external card.  The onboard Radeon R7 grabbed 1GB of the stated 8GB system memory for itself, thereby leaving only 7GB free for system use.  Now that I'm using an external card, I get the whole 8GB available for system use.

HP Recommended
Hi im javing the same issues the video card fan has gone so i have a gt 610 to swap out for now but same thing it beeps but no video how did u resolve this as my warranty has run out so not much help fron hp
HP Recommended
Also i have upgraded 500w power so know it not that issue im looking to upgrade to a gaming graphics card if i can sort the issue
HP Recommended

Tried solution successfully but message in the lower right corner of screen says "SecurBoot isn't configured correctly Build 9600".  Anyway to get rid of that?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.