Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-ba065sa (ENER
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Some of the F keys on my laptop aren't working - it's the three that are supposed to skpi back forward & toggle pause/play. I have downloaded the latest BIOS software as well as new drivers for the audio & keyboard which fixed the problem momentarily, but then after a couple of hours they just stopped working again. 

THe laptop os brand new - I only got it 2 days ago so I can't do a system restore & they have not worked since day 1.

Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Plabebob

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand the function keys to toggle between forward & play as it's not working the way you need it to work,

Here's is a post related to the same concern you have, I suggest you check this as well: Click here (the header is different but the post will fix your issue)

It's good that you've already re-install & updated the system event utility driver as that's the most common interface for the function keys, however, there are a few other things you do as well,

Starting with updating the video adapters using the device manager and/or the HP Support assistant

Click the Start button, then click Run 
2.In the Run window, next to Open , type MSCONFIG . 
3.Press the ENTER key. 
4.In the System Configuration Utility window, click the Startup tab. 
5.On the Startup tab, under Startup Item , ensure that there is a check in the HKserv checkbox. 

NOTE: If HKserv is missing, reinstall the HotKey Utility application by clicking here

Let me know how that pans out,
I hope you have a good day ahead,
And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Plabebob

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand the function keys to toggle between forward & play as it's not working the way you need it to work,

Here's is a post related to the same concern you have, I suggest you check this as well: Click here (the header is different but the post will fix your issue)

It's good that you've already re-install & updated the system event utility driver as that's the most common interface for the function keys, however, there are a few other things you do as well,

Starting with updating the video adapters using the device manager and/or the HP Support assistant

Click the Start button, then click Run 
2.In the Run window, next to Open , type MSCONFIG . 
3.Press the ENTER key. 
4.In the System Configuration Utility window, click the Startup tab. 
5.On the Startup tab, under Startup Item , ensure that there is a check in the HKserv checkbox. 

NOTE: If HKserv is missing, reinstall the HotKey Utility application by clicking here

Let me know how that pans out,
I hope you have a good day ahead,
And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for your reply, unfortunately it doesn't really help.

The link to the system event utility in your first link just redirects me to the HP help home page. I can't find a source for a Windows 10 one by googling - does it exist?

In the System Configuration Utility window under 'startup' there is just a link telling me to use the startup section of start manager - nothing labelled HKserv. There is also nothing with that name in the task manager startup pane. I tried to follow your instructions for the HP hotkey support but there is no download for Windows 10 in the link you posted - they stop at Windows 8.

HP Recommended

@Plabebob

Thank you for replying,

Ideally, the windows 8.1 drive should work with the latest updates, nevertheless, you could also download the win10 compatible driver using this link: Click here

I'll have the other post edited as it's probably a dead link (thank you for notifying).

Keep me posted for further assistance,

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
It's fixed! Thanks so much for your suggestions. I downloaded an update for the system event utility driver & that made them work.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.