Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Desktop HP Pavilion 550-A17C
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. My computer is a desktop HP Pavilion 550-A17C with AMD Radeon R5 graphics (integrated). Can it support two monitors? I have done everything I can think of, including searching the internet for a number of hours for solutions. For the life of me I cannot get the computer to detect the second monitor when I have the two monitors connected.

I connect the main monitor with a VGA cable, and the second with a DVI cable. The computer only has a VGA connector and a DVI connector. There are no HDMI ports  (serioulsly, and I bought this computer like three months ago, as a refurb.. Lol).

What I want to do is extend the display. Is my hardware uncapable of driving two displays? Would a USB video adapter solve the problem? 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@AFL2016, welcome to the forum.

First, make certain that you are using a DVI-D connector:

Capture13.PNG

This is important.

Here is a guide to help you  with the installation.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@AFL2016, welcome to the forum.

First, make certain that you are using a DVI-D connector:

Capture13.PNG

This is important.

Here is a guide to help you  with the installation.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Hmm.. Well it appears that my monitor is a DVI-D, and the cable I'm using is a DVI-D single link. Not sure why it's not working.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @AFL2016

Have you tried the suggestions in this guide:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05348091 (Link Updated 05/01/2017)

If not, give it a try.

HP Recommended

Problem solved. My second monitor wasn't working, I was unable to change the input to DVI. I just went and bought a different monitor, and yep, problem solved. Thanks for the input - reading through that link you sent really helped. I appreciate it.

HP Recommended

Problem solved. My second monitor wasn't working, I was unable to change the input to DVI. I just went and bought a different monitor, and yep, problem solved. Thanks for the input - reading through that link you sent helped me diagnose the problem. I appreciate it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.