Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

d1ad1a,

Raid will not work with unlike devices.  You can always install your new drives and give it a go.

It appears that the ugly way is going to be your only to get ACHI mode to work. Or, just live with what you have.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Dave, sorry I don't get you. What do you mean "Raid will not work with unlike devices. ?

My raid menu is mirror, if I put a new 2nd HDD in,  will the system auto mirror the system HDD on it, or just let it run as seperated until I set it in the menu?   Thanks

HP Recommended

The hard drive pairs need to have similar geometry and size before RAID will work.  RAID should not go active unless you establish the RAID pair.

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Why do you insist on using AHCI mode? Just use IDE mode. You will not lose any speed. AHCI only allows the use of NCQ (Native Command Queuing) and hot swapping drives. You likely can live without those features.

HP Recommended

y2ken,

ACHI mode is about 5% faster compared to IDE.

HP Recommended

Not worth the trouble for a theoretical increase of 5%. According to the benchmarks below the benefit is more like 1% and in some cases it will actually reduce performance.

ACHI vs IDE

HP Recommended

That benchmark has too many variables in it to be reliable. Besides the results are hardware and OS dependent.

HP Recommended

Hi Guys,

I bought a new G-42 laptop few days back.. i wanted to install XP on this.. for that i need to change the sata mode..

But not able to find it in BIOS.. Please guide me Where do i find the menu items u speaking abt..

HP Recommended

karockiad wrote: Hi Guys, I bought a new G-42 laptop few days back.. i wanted to install XP on this.. for that i need to change the sata mode.. But not able to find it in BIOS.. Please guide me Where do i find the menu items u speaking abt..

Hello karockiad, I checked the HP site for the model number you listed and was unable to locate it. Can you recheck the model number of your laptop?

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks alot for your time and response....

My model is hp pavilion G-42-478TX

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.