Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

after downloading windows 8.1 every time on start up it tells me "restart to finish update "

HP Recommended

I have  PCm7767c desktop computer that came with Vista 32 bit, then was upgraded to Win7 64 bit and finally to win8.1 64bit.  I have HP Support Assistant installed.  When I open it, it has a message on the top " An error occurred" and it does not work properly. 

I tried to uninstal it and I get an error message "Error 1316: while attempting to read from c:/windows/installer/HP Support Assistant.msi"

This means I cannot uninstall the old one and reinstal a new one.

Can anyone help?

Thank you.

Dietmar

HP Recommended

И при мен има проблем !Когато инсталирам стига до положение което прекратява и ми изписва липсва файл HPSA.exe и до там !!!Някаква помощ как да разреша проблема?

HP Recommended

After upgrading to Windows 8.1, all of sudden HPSA stopped working. I followed the advice on HP support forum and uninstalled HPSA. Now when I am trying to re-install, it is not getting installed. HPSA shortcut is created in Desktop, and when I am clicking on it, it was asking HPSF.exe file not found and error 1605 was coming. Then I copied HP support Framework folder from my other laptop and pasted in this laptop. Now when I am clicking HPSA shortcut, nothing is happening. In HP Utility Centre it is showing HPSA not installed. What should I do?

HP Recommended

Hello everyone,

I understand you are experiencing issues installing HP Support Assistant (the majority of you on this thread, anyway). I'm going to provide a few suggestions you can try that I have personally tested to ensure they have worked, at some point:

**BEFORE THE SOLUTION, PLEASE UNINSTALL HP SUPPORT ASSISTANT FROM CONTROL PANEL > PROGRAMS AND FEATURES!**

*In addition, before any real troubleshooting, please put your computer in a clean boot state. This should prevent third-party programs from interfering. This document provides information on how to do it: How to perform a clean boot in Windows*

*Next, unlock a new Administrator account, so this can all happen on a clean account. Open Command Prompt as Administrator, and hit Enter after typing the following: net user administrator /active:yes

You will be able to log out of your current user account, and log into the Administrator one.*

"Finally, make sure all of your Windows updates are complete:

1. Open "Windows Update" in Control Panel.
2. Click "Settings", and then click "Install optional updates".
3. Next, click "Check for updates".

Install any updates that are available.*

Solution: Download Support Assistant from its own special home

1. Click on the following link: HP Support Assistant. It will bring you to the following page:

support assistant 1.png

2. Click on "Notebooks, laptops, netbooks " under "Download HP Support Assistant". It will prompt you to download it. So save it, then run it AS ADMINISTRATOR.

support assistant 2.png

This should resolve the issue. Now, for the sake of getting to the bottom of the issue, I need the following information (ALL OF IT) if the issue is not resolved at this point:

1. The computer's model number. If you require assistance locating this information, please reference this website: Guide to finding your notebook product number

2. The computer's operating system. If you require assistance locating this information, please reference this website to determine your Windows operating system.

3. Does this occur on certain programs, or all programs?

4. Have you installed any new software or drivers on this computer, before the issue appeared?

5. What steps have been attempted from my post on this thread, and what were the results?

6. If there are any error messages, error code, I need all of it. Provide screen shots if necessary.

Thanks!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Hello everyone!

I've been experinecing this issue when updating to Windows 8.1 on my HP Pavilion 15-e053ca laptop. I updated about a week ago.

After checking around for any possible fixes in the control panel today, I found that the following update: Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2962409), was labelled as an optional update, which by default, Windows wouldn't install by itself. When investigating the full log of fixes the update provides (page available here), I decided to install the update and restart the PC.

To my delight, HPSF.exe launched successfully. It also fixed some errors I had with WMI, a service windows uses to provide full technical details of your machine when hitting the Advanced button on the window that pops up when you hit Fn+Esc on your laptop (otherwise accessible by typing in msinfo32 in Windows search)

So, I'd reccomend everyone checking if KB2962409 is installed on your system. This may or may not fix the predicament us HP users got plagued with by Windows 8.1, but it sure worked for me. I hope you achieve the same success.

P.S.: I did not attempt to uninstall, restart, and re-install HP Support Assistant, as it was reccomended on the thread. I believe that whatever hotfix included in the optional update provided the resources for HPSF to work properly. Though I hope that the update isn't a hit-or-miss with certain models of computers, I would still recommend installing this update, regardless it being optional.

HP Recommended

@samathp,

Thanks very much for the inclusion. All-in-all, it is very important to install all Windows updates, including the optional ones! It can definitely solve issues like this 😉

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

.... Con le ISTRUZIONI di super mario1 ho Risolto il Problema. Grazie.

HP Recommended

It fails to run.

1. Model # B6C70AV
  2. OS Windows Version 6.3.9600 Build 9600
  3. Occurs to HP Support Assistant 7.6.31.30 (the latest on HP Support Assistant)
  4. Installed the drivers on HP's support pages: HP ENVY dv6t-7200 CTO Quad Edition Notebook PC
  5. All steps were attempted: fresh boot, fresh profile, run HPSA. Still fails.
  6. Error message: HPSF.exe has stopped working. This application has encountered a serious problem and must close.

The newest drivers appear to come only from HPSA.

(Notice my support page only shows up to Windows 8. No Windows 8.1.)

I'd really appreciate getting this working.

HP Recommended

I had a problem with my computer and tried to launch HP Support Assistant.  MS Windows informed me that HP Support Assistant has stopped working.  I opened HP Recovery Manager and reinstalled HP Support Assistant and restarted the computer.  I received the same message from MS Windows. 

I then re-installed HP Recovery and restarted the computer.  I received the same message. From MS Windows. 

What’s wrong?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.