Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP support assistant shows that there is the following update:

HP notebook System BIOS update
Softpaq nunber SP74378
version F.34Ap1

tried to download and install without success

should I worry ?

thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.

No, no need to worry.

Updating the BIOS/UEFI is not a critical task and I'd suggest you leave it that way for now.

General recommendation I provide to users/customers is NOT to upgrade BIOS/UEFI unless they experience any kind of specific BIOS/UEFI issue. Updating just for updaing and just for using the latest verson is not solution. Any kind of update (no matter for what and who relesed it) can fix 2 issues but may introduce 10 more issues. Additionally, upgrading the BIOS (for any vendor) poses more risks because BIOS recovery is not that easy as compared to typical software updates IF something goes wrong.

Upgrade/update IF you have specific issues which you know are fixed in the newer version or for some severe security issues. Otherwise, keep the existing version as long as possible.

Cheers!

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.

No, no need to worry.

Updating the BIOS/UEFI is not a critical task and I'd suggest you leave it that way for now.

General recommendation I provide to users/customers is NOT to upgrade BIOS/UEFI unless they experience any kind of specific BIOS/UEFI issue. Updating just for updaing and just for using the latest verson is not solution. Any kind of update (no matter for what and who relesed it) can fix 2 issues but may introduce 10 more issues. Additionally, upgrading the BIOS (for any vendor) poses more risks because BIOS recovery is not that easy as compared to typical software updates IF something goes wrong.

Upgrade/update IF you have specific issues which you know are fixed in the newer version or for some severe security issues. Otherwise, keep the existing version as long as possible.

Cheers!

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following.

If the update is still running in HP Support Assistant, click the Stop button.

Close HPSA, restart the notebook, then download the Bios Update from the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp74001-74500/sp74378.exe

When the download has completed, close any other open windows and programs, then open your Downloads folder and double-tap the installer to start the process.  The actual flash will occur when the machine restarts - do not interrupt this in any way, even if nothing appears to be happening for a while - when it has completed, the machine will load into Windows as usual.

Note:  If the option to Update shows as being 'blocked on this device', you will need to Contact HP regarding this.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Please note that I there will be a BIOS version 35 out in the coming weeks.
(This one relates to a request made here for the ability to disable USB devices - not critical for most.)

I am an HP Employee
Quality Manager - HP VR / Z Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
HP Recommended

hi

thank you for the knowledge and the common sense that you injected in your message

carlo

HP Recommended

Since updating  with the BIOS program I have been unable to use my printer.

HP Recommended

The whole idea of updating is to prevent problems from ever taking place. Not updating until you have a problem then trying to solve it later is bad advice.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.