Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15
Linux

Hi all,

I recently bought HP Omen and I must say I like it a lot!

I am software engineer and use Linux as my main OS, so I installed Arch Linux next to Win8 that was already on the machine. Except for problems (which I solved successfully at the end) with wifi being blocked initially and non-standard UEFI implementation (loads windows directly), everything works really fine and I am very satisfied.

One thing I do not have a good idea how to make work is keyboard: both lighting control and special gaming buttons. I was hoping somebody could give me directions on how to make this work (I have no problem with implementing part of solution myself if needed), are there any drivers for Linux, or is there any specification about how keyboard works and what signals can I use to control lighting, maybe source of Windows drivers (although I am guessing that is not public)?

Thanks,

Martin

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

Bump! Is there anyone on this forum that could give me some insight on how is keyboard lighting controlled on omen, and if not, where should I ask? Thanks!

HP Recommended

BUMP as well. I would also like to know the answer to this question.

HP Recommended

Hi @Martinsos ,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publically post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Regards,
George

I work for HP
HP Recommended

Hve you tried turning it on and off?

HP Recommended
I can turn it on or off using fn + f5, however there is no way to control color of keyboard right now, and I have no idea how to use special gaming buttons (linux recognizes them as escape, tab, tilda and so on - so same like the button to the right of the gaming button)
HP Recommended
Hi, I have the same laptop , but I'm still stuck with the WiFi issue hopefully u can advise me how to solve it , it is not working , I thought the device have a problem
😞
HP Recommended

Hi @shawarov!

I had following problem with WIFI: very often it was hard locked, and I was not able to unlock it. You can check that it is hardlocked using `rfkill list`, it will say "Hard blocked: yes" for your wifi interface, and  you want to get that thing to be "no". I tried pressing fn + f12 but it did not help. Interesting thing: sometimes wifi was working after boot, but if I pressed fn + f12 it would hard lock and I could not unlock it.

I tried different solutions found on web, and one that worked for me was to blacklist wmi module!

You will note be able to toggle wifi using fn + f12 (which was not a problem for me since I never turn it off), but your wifi will not be blocked anymore.

You can find more information about blacklisting kernel modules here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/kernel_modules

I described this and some other of my experiences with HP Omen here http://martinsos.github.io/linux/2015/03/01/arch-linux-on-hp-omen.html .

HP Recommended

There is no linux version of HP OMEN Control.  This software developed exclusively for HP OMEN, which is meant for gaming community (Windows based).

"Appreicate a Kudo if you like my post or find it useful."
HP Recommended

Thank you, that is what I was expecting! That is why I was hoping guys from HP could give me some insight in how this control could be implemented on Linux.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.