Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 5222 All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought a refurbished Officejet 5222 for my daughter because I've had one for awhile that I'm happy with and they aren't made or sold new anymore. It came with "4 month Instant ink trial" which must be redeemed by creating an HP Account with valid credit/debit card and shipping address. The fine print states "must redeem within 7 days of printer setup". I just set it up and checked it out using the instant ink cartridges that came with the printer so presumably the clock has started ticking (I didn't see the time limit until after I set it up). So my question is, what happens after 7 days. Will the printer still work with the installed cartridges? Can this offer still be activated somehow after 7 days. And rhetorical question: why is HP so intent on tangle everything up in conditional ifs, ands, buts? I forgot how aggravating HP can be and I probably should have stayed out of it and let my daughter buy a Canon which is where she was headed. Thanks for any help you can provide.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@DaveLeno1, Welcome to the HP Support Community! I’m here to help.

I understand your concern. However, the free months can be availed if the printer is enrolled in Instant Ink within 7 days of the printer setup.

After which, the offer will lapse.

You can still enroll in Instant Ink. For assistance, refer to - Enrolling in HP Instant Ink

Hope this helps! Let me know how it goes. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Kumar, thanks for your response. I can understand an expiration time period but 7 days is insufficient. Not that that changes anything.

I have a related question: I had a printer that broke in a vary strange invisible way - S/W I believe - and the answers I got on how to fix it was don't, just chuck it. It had been enrolled in the Instant Ink program but when I got another printer that used the same ink cartridges, the cartridges I saved wouldn't work. I thought they were my cartridges, purchased via the Instant Ink program for my old, now broken printer. I felt ripped off. Why wouldn't those cartridges work in my new printer. It seems totally wasteful to not be able to use these inks. Would they work if I enrolled my new printer in the Instant Ink program?

Thanks, Dave

HP Recommended

@DaveLeno1

Instant Ink cartridges are registered to the particular printer on your account. It cannot be used in any other printer(same model too).

Also, in the Instant Ink service, you pay for the pages you print and not for the ink cartridges.

HP owns the ink cartridges. Those cartridges have to be sent back to HP.

Please send me a private message with your Instant Ink account details or you may also respond to the private message I've sent out and I'll help you out, accordingly. Check next to your profile name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

I hope this answers your query. Let me know.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar, sorry if I wasted your effort. I thought I let you know I wasn't enrolled in intant ink. I never will be again. The email I supplied was what I used when I enrolled. I try to avoid dealing with HP if I can avoid it based on lack of ethics like this.

Thanks again,

Dave

HP Recommended

@DaveLeno1

I'm sorry to hear that. If the printer is not enrolled in Instant Ink, you cannot use Instant Ink cartridges. Kindly use regular HP ink cartridges.

You may purchase replacement cartridges and other supplies from the HP Store or local retailers.

Keep me posted for any other assistance. 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar,

Sorry, my last post wasn't meant as a personal swipe at you or any other engineers working for HP. After reading it, it comes off that way. It's how I feel about the way HP does business. I have a good friend who works at HP.

I appreciate your help.

Regards,

Dave

HP Recommended

@DaveLeno1

I understand. However, there is no other solution available to resolve this issue other than using regular HP inks.

Keep me posted for any other assistance. Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.