Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@gailjerr wrote:
black ink cartridge is brand new but won't print in black.

What printer model? Are there any error messages?  The post here may help if you have a printer with removable printheads that uses the 564 or 920 style cartridges.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue with the black ink not working and noticed a pool of black toner inside the printer where the print head rests.  I have the HP Photosmart 5510, tried cleaning the printheads level 1 and 2 and cleaned them with a q tip and rubbing alcohol and its still not working, anything else that can be done?

HP Recommended

@1bristow wrote:

I am having the same issue with the black ink not working and noticed a pool of black toner inside the printer where the print head rests.  I have the HP Photosmart 5510, tried cleaning the printheads level 1 and 2 and cleaned them with a q tip and rubbing alcohol and its still not working, anything else that can be done?

The troubleshooting steps in the document here may help.  Especially make sure the vents are cleared.  If that does not resolve the issue then resetting the printer as described in the post here may help.  If this does not resolve the issue then read the entire thread here and try requesting reset instructions.

Edit - it is normal for there to be ink in the service area.  It is not necessary (or desireable) to manually clean the service station area.  Improper cleaning of this area can damage the printer.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

AMAZING!!!!

So glad I got to your post.  This worked for me.  I did have to run the clean printheads 5 times but everything is working perfectly now!!! Thanks so much!!!

HP Recommended

Bob's method worked. The first tme I did not soak the printhead, but just ran warm water over the heads. This did not fix the problem. The second time, I did soak in warm water the printhead for approximately 10 minutes and then let it air dry mostly. After reinstallation and two print head cleaning routines, then this did the trick.

Thanks Bob, you saved me a new printer or print head!

Fpemberton 

HP Recommended
My Printer is a year old and old or new cartridges print only blank pages. I tried the whole soak in hot water over and over again and it did not work. I replaced with new and still does not work. So much time and money wasted.
HP Recommended

Hi:

We took your advice.

The long document that appears to be from a printer User Manual was not helpful.

It provides one with just the basics of cleaning/changing the printhead and caddy.

The 2nd link, also did not provide any info that was helpul to us.

Note:

We are unable to print a Status Report.

The other report ( I don't remember the name right now) that prints the color vertical lines at the top,

and then prints the horizontal bars of black and color does not print the black bar, nor any of the black

text information below it.

Thank you

DaleBr

HP Recommended

I think some are confusing the print cartridge with the print head and soaking the cartridge.  For the technologically challenged I can see how this is an easy mistake.  They view the cartridge as having different parts. To them, the part of the cartridge where the ink comes out is the head, hence..cartridge head.

So, maybe in the instructions, clarify that 'it is not the ink cartridge that one soaks.'

...trust me, speaking from experience :smileyembarrassed:

Having said that, after realizing my mistake, I soaked the print head for 10 minutes in very hot water and it looked very clean but still, no ink on paper.

HP Recommended

Hi mehtalalady

Thanks for the feedback!

Printhead

Cartridges

Cartridges.jpg

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks...

OK...let me clarify

We have soaked the caddy (printhead...not the individual printer ink cartridges) in warm water.

We have done nothing to the print cartridges other than clean the "electrodes" where the ink comes out.

We have done this for all 5 cartridges now, and in the past.

This is the first time that we have had a problem like this...the black "color" (not phtoblack) is not printing.

-DaleBr

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.